Elan plus 2 hub carriers

PostPost by: Panel man » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:36 am

Hi. I'm new on here so go easy.
My name is Gary and I have a 74 plus 2.
I have a bit of a problem as in I recently fitted a rear suspension conversion from spyder cars. Rear hub carrier, all went well until I fitted the rear caliper. Their is a gap of 12mm or so between the calliper and the mounting bracket both sides. I phoned spyder who suggested I may have put the bearings in the wrong way, but in checking time and again, even if there were no bearings, the hub would not have enough clearence. It looks like it needs spacers? Has anyone else done this conversion or had the same problem. Any help or advice greatly appreciated, I'm stumped..I will take some pics today and try to upload them.
Panel man
New-tral

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:20 am

Have you got the disk mounted on the outside of the driveshaft arms ?

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Panel man » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:54 pm

Hi there. Yes it is mounted directly to the cv drive shaft. Should it go on before the hub and bearing get pushed on? That would make the three ears go to the inside of the disc? Cheers. Gary
Panel man
New-tral

PostPost by: Craven » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:03 pm

This may help.
p1030172.jpg and
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:17 pm

Panel man wrote:Hi there. Yes it is mounted directly to the cv drive shaft. Should it go on before the hub and bearing get pushed on? That would make the three ears go to the inside of the disc? Cheers. Gary

The centre of the disk is designed to allow the disk to be fed over the 3 eared flange so that it is on the outside as per photo from Craven.
The other point is that if you have adjustable height spring carriers on your Spyder conversion you have to wind the carrier high enough to stop it fouling the disk .
If you have the conversion with the smaller diameter springs you may find that the springs rattle against the damper tube ,which is quite annoying . I put cable ties around the spring to stop mine doing this.
Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Panel man » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:01 pm

Thanks for the advice and pictures. Problem solved and rectified.
As soon as I read Rohans question, I realised what I'd done. I would never have thought of that. In hind sight I should of taken pictures before strip down. Thanks again for solving my problem. Il upload some pictures when I can work it out....next problem.....
Gary.
Panel man
New-tral

Total Online: