Hello from Turin, Italy

PostPost by: alc 63 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:23 pm

Hello everyone,
I?m a seasoned Petrolhead from Turin, Italy.
I have the immense privilege of being Italian, living in Italy, having (still) a job and enjoying my life in this beautiful country. However, I feel European, as I got my MSc in the UK and travelled a lot for work and leisure within Europe, US and Canada, so I feel home in this international community.
Being the son of a Fiat Engineer, I lived within the car industry since infancy and cars are still my major passion. I?m particularly fond of rally cars with Fiat and Lancia being my favourite marquees, but I have a huge respect also for other rally-oriented manufacturers, such as Renault, Peugeot, Subaru, etc.
While living in the UK I got also very passionate for Lotus cars and Colin Chapman?s engineering concepts ? ?Less is more?, ?Add Lightness?, etc. I?m obsessed with weight-saving!
I own a 1995 Renault Clio Williams Phase II (a pure Rallye homologation special) and a 1998 red Fiat barchetta (tribute to my father, of course). Very diverse but hugely fun cars.
In the past I had for several years a BRG Lotus Elise S1. I sold it with few regrets due to the high running cost and the fact I never bond with the car. Unless you track it, she has little sense on our battered Italian road. And I love spirited driving on the open roads (especially in the Alps), not spinning on a track. That?s way I love rallies, after all.
So why am I here, especially as I don?t have an Elan? Well, being nearly 54 I?m in stage of my life where I?m realising I will not be able to enjoy a car like an Elan for longer. Also, the idea of buying, restoring, maintaining and driving an Elan is becoming an obsession, the real A Plan.
My dream Elan is a LHD Type 36 FHC, but I also adore early Type 26?s. I?m a bit colder to later 45?s instead, but Sprints are just fantastic.
In short, I?m here to learn more about this fantastic car, so I?m looking forward getting in touch with you guys.
Andrew (ALC 63)
Elan Wannbie
alc 63
New-tral

PostPost by: Maxwell » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:55 pm

First, welcome! It's good that you find your way to something new, at any age.

I will be visiting Turin somewhere in the next few months, so I hope it is as welcoming as you describe it to be.
Maxwell
New-tral

PostPost by: JimE » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:00 pm

Welcome to the group. You have certainly come to the right place. You might also try the Classic Lotus Elan and Plus Two FB page. I have two daughters who live in Rome and Bologna but I never see a Lotus, never mind an Elan when I'm visiting. I'm sure they are out there somewhere. Could luck with your mission.

Jim
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:47 pm

hi alc - we used to produce fibre reinforced parts for aircraft and automotive applications. i visited lancia, fiat and abarth many a time at the corso........ in turin WHERE you'd see group C lancias heading for a track closeby ON PUBLIC ROADS!!! the noise was intoxicating - i luv italy mate!! sandy www.johnson.ch (this is not a promotion and don't try to buy anything PLEASE!!------------ this is only for the italian to show superb italian goodies -please ignore except alc!!
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:17 am

Hello from USA! :D
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:56 am

Hello from the UK. :D
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:07 am

Hi ..Sent you PM..

Ciao
Gino
1964 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S3 Coupe
1968 Elan S4 Coupe
1969 Elan +2
1968 Lotus Seven S3
1982 Lotus Esprit S3
1961 Ford Anglia
2000 Lotus Elise Motorsport-56
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:30 am

Welcome aboard !

these elusive little cars are out there, the search is part of the courtship and is to be enjoyed as such... I believe that if you love them enough, you'll have one eventually... for the better or the worse.

good luck !
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alc 63 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:45 am

Thank you all for the welcoming, it's great to share this space with real enthusiasts and mmmmh, you're fueling my desire to learn more on this fantastic car and entering into a restoration project (with eyes wide open though).

To be honest my search so far has been immensly frustrating, glad I found a community of people that own/restore/drive these cars for passion and not for profit.

I'll be quiet in the next months as I have so much to learn but will surely follow this space closely.

Ciao/Cheers
Andrew (ALC 63)
Elan Wannbie
alc 63
New-tral

PostPost by: woodcock » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:07 pm

Ciao Andrew. Welcome to the best of the Lotus web sites. Owning an Elan is a life long love. Haven't read of anyone being buried in one,...yet. I have been driving an ?lan for 51 years, just not every day anymore. Find one & enjoy! Ciao, Ron
woodcock
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Europatc » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:09 pm

Welcome Andrew
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:44 am

alc 63 wrote:I'll be quiet in the next months as I have so much to learn but will surely follow this space closely.

Don't be quiet, ask questions and learn more! :D
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:43 am

I see you are probably less than 100 miles from Gino in Milan and that he has already PMd you. Gino is a real enthusiast and usually has a few cars on the go, you won't go far wrong being guided by him.

Good luck with your search!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: