new member intro

PostPost by: GLB » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:10 am

Hello all. I have been lurking for many years but never had a question that could not be answered in the forums. I bought my first Elan in 1975, fell in love, sold a Porsche Speedster and coupe and never looked back. Have had a series 2 and 3 Elan, a Europa TC and Esprit S 1. I now have a 1974 Europa TC Special, second owner since 1981. A 1971 +2S for about 20 years. My son used it as his daily driver in college n 2005. I finished an 8 year restoration last April, drove it 2800 miles to LOG last May and another 1500 miles to Texas All British Car Days last Oct. No problems and a great driving car. My question and reason for joining involves my 1963 Elan, serial no 26/0045. The car has had a hard life but I am trying to make it better. See pictures. It has a Bourne body except for the left door. The differential housing does not have the "A" prefix, There are no numbers on the rear uprights and it has aluminum brake unions, all indicators of a very early car. There are no numbers on the engine that I can find in the usual locations. The head does have the semicircles cast on the plug side of the cam carriers. The interior has all been replaced. I have made a tunnel cover with the ashtray at the back of the gear shift area and welded the ashtray openings on the armrest. I know nothing of the map pockets mentioned recently and would like to know about them. Thanks for all of the groups unacknowledged help to this point and any help in recreating a very early car. Gary
Attachments
001.jpg and
003.jpg and
elan-7.jpg and
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:39 am

Welcome GLB!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:42 am

Wonderful cars. Welcome GLB!
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:43 am

The early heads normally had the engine number at the rear of the head. You need a mirror between the head and firewall to read it if its there. The block may have no number if it was replaced at some time but if you have a half moon head, the head itself it is probably original.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:13 pm

Welcome!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Europatc » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:34 pm

Welcome Gary
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GLB » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:04 pm

Thanks for the welcome, especially Rohan whose knowledge I envy. This car is in many ways like the antique hammer that has had its head replaced once and the handle twice. I have the engine out for transmission repair and will enclose a photo of the back of the head and the data plate on the car. I bought the car from a gentleman in Denver Colorado who did not use it much. He bought it from a man on the east coast who built it. He was very proud of the flairs and driving lights. Thankfully now gone. Plus the car is left hand drive. When I said the interior was redone I mean none of the original material was left, all replaced. It is now gutted and will be done more to the original if I can learn what is original. I have been a reader of the type 26 registry and been in contact with Newton Commercial but know nothing of the map pockets. The data plate says 26/0045 and engine no. LP0051 but I can find no numbers on the engine or the chassis. The Bourne tag is so badly scratched as to be unreadable . Thanks again for any help. Gary
Attachments
dscn4455.jpg and
dscn4461.jpg and
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:46 pm

Welcome Gary! You going to bring the Elan to txabcd this year?

A bit of change from the 3 red +2 would be nice!

Mark.
Attachments
20170924_095107.jpg and
What are the odds?
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GLB » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:00 pm

I hope to. The one with the bonnet up is mine. Thats me in the back. Gary
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jonsered 11 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:03 am

Hi Gary,

welcome to the forum, that is a very early car that you have 26/0045, it must be April/May 63?
I have 26/0089 registered June 63, its interior has been restored to original spec if you need any help, photos or information let me know!

Regards Jonsered
jonsered 11
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:21 am

Gary, were you at LOG last year? If so then I think we may have spoken briefly in the parking lot behind the hotel.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:07 am

Is the Plus 2 on a Spyder chassis?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GLB » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:58 am

to jonsered, according to Tim Wilkes the car was invoiced 14 May 1963

to the veg, I was at LOG in Birmingham and enjoyed many a parking lot talk. Nice to see that I am not the only crazy in the world.

to elanfan, It is on the original frame. I steam cleaned it, no corrosion , measured it and repainted it. A good thing about living in the desert.

I would like any pictures of the interior. Here is one of mine now. I made a new dash with oiled teak veneer.
I made a dash cover from fiberglass, modified the center tunnel cover to accept the ash tray. In El Paso we have a Corvette interior restorer who has all of the original GM tooling for early Corvette dashes, door panel and seats. He likes to do unusual projects. He vacuformed a new panel over my mods so I think it looks good. He only has black, no Atlas grey. The dash cover would not form so he covered it in vinyl. Not right but better than what I had. I have the mats from JAE but need the rear aluminum trim at the back of the cockpit. Also need an early fuel guage. The seats obviously need attention. I have made new door card backing from ABS sheet. The car had aluminum sheet metal panels covered in the same material as the seat. I would like to see how the fiberglass pieces at the front of the panel should look. Will order the beige and grey or black coverings when the trans is back together. Gary
Attachments
dscn4473.jpg and
dscn4475.jpg and
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:04 am

GLB wrote:I hope to. The one with the bonnet up is mine. Thats me in the back. Gary

Yup and mines the one on the right.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GLB » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:26 am

I thought so. Enjoyed the show and visiting with you and Gorden
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: