New boy with a basket case

PostPost by: Paul A » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:19 pm

Hi,
I've just bought an S3 dhc which was originally exported to France when new, so LHD. I have got the remains of the car to the UK and will be converting it to RHD during the extensive restoration!
I have some car knowledge having had various kit cars mostly of the sevenesque type. I have also done some hillclimbs and sprints so seen a lot of Elan's in competition, often aspired to ownership but until now, never been able to afford one!
I'm looking forward to starting on the car, but I know it has a lot of challenges, though I'm advised the chassis is a recent replacement. The head has a crack in the timing chain area, the cams are out and loose in the car somewhere! The cam caps are there but little else, the block is original to the car but the head isnt, it looks like it's been stored outside in southern France, without a cover and the body has some serious blisters!
Hopefully over the coming years I'll be able to make a car of it. I have already made contact with a number of relatively local enthusiastic owners, who are steering me in the right direction!
My aim is a usable road car, fuel injection, I'm considering as 5 speed transmission, probably lsd as it will no doubt end up on a track at some point, but all this is some way off as you can see.
Attachments
imag0465.jpg and
Paul A
New-tral

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:48 pm

Welcome a Paul,

Nice little project you?ve found there. Post up some more photos please. Presumably you?ve found the Local Group.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:49 pm

Welcome Paul! Looks like a fantastic project, can't wait to see your progress!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tjb0274 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:02 am

Welcome to the wonderful world of Elan restoration :-)

Seems not uncommon for down at heels French-delivery cars to end up in RHD countries. My S4 DHC, which I bought here in Australia, turned out to be built up from 3 different (that I know of so far!) French-delivery Elans.
1969 S4
1969 Europa S2
1990/1970 Ricciardi/Alfa
tjb0274
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:08 pm

It looks as if you've got yourself a challange there Paul.
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon May 13, 2019 8:29 pm

Welcome and good luck with the restoration!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: