Aspiring Lotus mechanic entering the chat!

PostPost by: guyatou » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:10 am

Hello all!

I'm Michael, from Oklahoma, USA. I'm helping a buddy of mine, Neil, put together his 1967 Lotus Elan S3. I've dabbled in classic cars for years, but this is my first British car project -- I cut my teeth years ago on 1960s Datsun Roadster 2000s. So, of course I think the Lotus has one too many cams!

I've lurked on the forum for the past few months as I've made progress on identifying what parts we have, generally where they go and (frequently) what is missing. But the time has come to join the forum and hopefully learn the tricks and tips I'll need to put this car back on the road for the first time in decades.

Beyond being a shadetree classic car mechanic, I am a freelance writer (editorial and corporate branding and marketing) and photographer. I also buy and sell classic cars (which generally COSTS me money unfortunately).

My other vehicle projects are a 1968 Datsun Roadster (currently wrecked...long story but I walked away!) a 1930 Model A Ford that i inherited from my grandfather and a 1976 BMW R90/6 motorcycle that I restored a number of years ago. I also have a number of BMW projects, mostly from the 80s-early 2000s.

Oh yeah, I'm also a dual citizen of Ireland, although I've never actually been there.

That's me in a nutshell!
guyatou
New-tral

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:34 am

Welcome Michael!

I think you'll have a lot of fun with the Lotus- they're fantastic cars! Post some pics when you can.

BTW I'm a BMW motorcycle enthusiast too, although I don't have anything as old as a /6. I used to go to informal 'airhead' gatherings in eastern OK back when I lived in TexSux.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:16 am

Hello guyatou, welcome to the place where there's no 12 step program and everyone here is either a co-dependent or enabler.

First things to obtain unless you already have them:
Elan service manual
Elan parts list - The best to determine how things come apart or go together
Dave Bean Elan or British Ford handbook
THE REBUILDING OF A LOTUS ELAN: ADDENDUM ENGINEERING WORKSHOP MANUAL by Brian Buckland

RE: Cams - There's a reason for two, particularly having the ability to adjust valve open/close events for performance.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:49 am

Top of the morning to you and welcome.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sadbrewer » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:00 pm

Welcome Michael...just to echo what Stresscrax has said above...get the workshop manual... it is invaluable...Brian Buckland's book is also a very good partner to Lotus' own manual. ..I've read quite a few comments on here about the price being high, tbf to the author it's a hefty piece of work.
IMG_20230722_135612.jpg and
Sadbrewer
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: