The Hero Car

PostPost by: Uturn » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:36 am

Long time lurker... finally an official elan owner.

Have always wanted a Lotus. Reading car magazines about Esprits in the late '80 were the closest I ever got. I take that back.... my '86 Toyota MR2 had Lotus tuned suspension. But taste and needs change and you buy a sensible car. You get an Acura Integra 4 dr, an Acura TL, even a Nissan R32 Skyline. Then you settle on that one car you feel comfortable in and you get several iterations of it, the BMW e30. Life is good for several years. But you're missing something, you want excitement so you get that Italian mistress to spice up your life, you get an Alfa Romeo. The boldness of your actions makes you believe you can conquer the world. You can drive your heroes! You convince yourself that you deserve a Lotus!

Those Lotus for sale ads you used to see are no more so instead you place a wanted ad. My wanted ad was fruitful. I found a local to me '69 S4 in yellow. A stalled restoration but it has good bones. It'll be slow going, I'm giving myself two years to get it road legal.

Looking forward to being part of the community.
Uturn
New-tral

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:59 pm

Hope you dont take a Uturn on your trip, persevere!
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:03 am

Welcome Uturn!

I saw in your other thread that you're near Katy- I pass through that way once or twice a year for business. We'll have to talk Lotus over a pint or three next time I'm out there.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:28 pm

Well done, Uturn, at finally taking the plunge! We hope the restoration goes smoothly but there are bound to be questions.

Do use the 'search' function though it is recommended to use a Google type search engine, starting the query with 'lotuselan.net' followed by your search topic. When you post a query here let us know the variant of your car e.g. Coupe or Roadster, and any non-standard features relevant to the query, like electronic ignition. You can attach some details of the car in the postscript section of your profile as you can see in other posts (like mine).

Best of luck!
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: