Classic Insurance Needed for Southern Ireland

PostPost by: pmallinson » Sat May 13, 2006 8:54 am

Hi Everyone

I am finally getting to fetch my baby home to Ireland form the UK but need to find some ''reasonable'' classic car insurance for driving it in Southern Ireland.

I have at present 1 quote from Britton insurance and its 765 Euro for me and the wife (both older than we car tor remember but 15 + to retiring) no convictions and that is only 2500 miles / year !!

Jesus my last one in the UK was a Ferrari 512 BB and limited to 1500 miles a year with agreed value of 50K they only charged me 275 GBP !! Unfortunately they will not do insurance for ROI !

Please help

Peter M
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:25 am

Most standard UK insurance certificates cover use in ROI as it is an EEC country - so standard UK cover should normally cover you providing the car is to be used in the UK and the ROI use is temporary.

The problem you might get is if the car is registered in Ireland. I doubt if UK insurers are legally allowed to cover it (It's to do with their licensing!!) - then I think all you can do is get temporary cover out there to bring it back here then start again after it is UK registered.

A good site for temporary cover is: dayinsure.com - backed by Norwich Union this allows temporary cover at approx ?10 a day. (Expensive if calculated over a year I know but gets you out of a hole if you are just moving a vehicle for a day). Just type in your details, pay on line and you print off your certificate.

For annual UK insurance I use Towergate Hall & Clarke - my last premium on my Sprint was under ?100 Comp, agreed value, restricted miles and me to drive. Their no is 0208 908 5611 - ask for Angie Brown only if it's for classic insurance.
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:28 am

Looks like I got the wrong end of the stick as you are taking the car "the wrong way!!!!"

dayinsure.com should hopefully allow you to get it home. Do Norwich Uinion direct operate in ROI or might it be Hibernian there?

Cheers
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Sat May 13, 2006 10:20 am

elanfan1 wrote:Looks like I got the wrong end of the stick as you are taking the car "the wrong way!!!!"

dayinsure.com should hopefully allow you to get it home. Do Norwich Uinion direct operate in ROI or might it be Hibernian there?

Cheers

Really though Cracked it here with the dayinsure thing as this would let me get it home to Ireland (yes thats the way its travelling for some fun on the mountain roads see www.sheenview.com classic cars page)

However went straight the site and put in my details AND go the following message !!!

Sorry, we cannot insure this vehicle.

One possible reason might be that the vehicle does not meet our vehicle acceptance criteria.

Another reason might be that we do not have any insurance grouping information for this vehicle. This may be the case for example if the vehicle is rare, very old or very new. In these cases, we cannot insure the vehicle.

If the vehicle meets our acceptance criteria, you can click the Edit make/model link and try and select the correct vehicle information from a list.

If you mistyped the registration number, you can click the Edit registration link to go back and change it.

Registration TNK679M Edit registration
Make LOTUS Edit make/model
Model ELAN +2S 130/5

Bugger !!! back to the drawing board then
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: r.agnew » Sat May 13, 2006 11:11 am

Peter ----I had insurance on my Sprint (before I had to sell it) with Carole Nash . It was on U.K plates & I live in the R.O.I. , but this was not a problem , although I did tell them I would be registering it here, but unfortunately I had to sell it before I got round to that . They have an office in Dublin , the designated phone number for Classic insurance is 1800-719-807 (from R.O.I) . Also check their website for full details of their Dublin Office . If I remember correctly it cost about 400euro & included full breakdown cover (not that you'd ever need that with a Lotus Ha Ha Ha !!! )
r.agnew
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Sun May 14, 2006 3:45 pm

Hi Peter,

I have a +2 in the Midlands (Ireland). There are quite a few insurers
for Classics, most are only interested in teh Classic as a second
car. (eg. AXA).

I finally went with First Ireland, the +2 is insured as a main car,
limited to 10,000 miles, Comprehensive all for ?3 less than my
previous car (a Peugeot 605 SVti).

email me at [email protected] and I'll provide you with
the contact details for teh broker I dealt with. I'm not sure if
he'd want me to post it on the forum!

AXA's quote as a second car was quite good, but they were generally
looking to limit you to <4000 per year.

By the way, had a look at the pics of your car, it looks great. Mine's
also a 130/5.

Take care,
Peter
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Mon May 15, 2006 2:33 pm

Thanks for all your help

AXA presently the best at 260 ish Euro agreed Value 10 K euro 3000 miles and me and the wife fully comp

Peter
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: