LOG 27 Pictures

PostPost by: jmesh » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:18 am

Here are a few pictures from LOG 27 in Aspen, Colorado this past weekend. It was a great event and an excellent chance to meet some other members of this forum.

I drove my green '67 S3. The car is very new to me and ran well on the 370 mile trip that included 3 major mountain passes. If you ever get the chance, Independence Pass is an ideal Lotus road. Just be sure your brakes are working.

Jason
Attachments
PICT0015.JPG and
Pretty S2 that won the Elan S1/S2 class.
PICT0055.JPG and
PICT0038.JPG and
Sarto's S3 is even nicer than it looks in the pictures.
PICT0020.JPG and
Beautiful +2
PICT0019.JPG and
This Sprint was driven all the way from NY, about 2000 miles.
PICT0018.JPG and
PICT0012.JPG and
Pretty S2 that won the Elan S1/S2 class.
PICT0016.JPG and
My '67 S3. I only recently got the car and it ran like a champ. 370 miles of mountain driving at 30mpg.
PICT0009.JPG and
Climbed over this rock in the Elan. That's the eastern wall of Independence Pass. Fun. And scary.
PICT0008.JPG and
On the way to Independence Pass. About 30 mins east of Aspen
jmesh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jmesh » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:29 am

A few more including Emmo's F1 car and a MkVI with original paint by Von Dutch.

Jason
Attachments
pict0030.JPG and
PICT0032.JPG and
PICT0034.JPG and
PICT0039.JPG and
PICT0044.JPG and
PICT0045.JPG and
PICT0036.JPG and
PICT0024.JPG and
PICT0025.JPG and
Emmo's F1 car
PICT0013.JPG and
Great turnout
jmesh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:35 pm

What a fantastic turnout indeed :D

Good to see so many classic Lotus models together.

I wish we had a nice sunny Lotus show like that in the UK instead of two in the depths of the winter.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:40 pm

John
I take it you missed Donnington?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:09 pm

That's one of the ones I'm referring to ........... but I knew it would get a response :lol:

Other car clubs seem to organise shows outdoors and when the sun is shining just seems odd that the two big Lotus shows are held at times and in temperatures when you have to fear for the longevity of your testicles.

The result always seems to be a huge turnout of late Lotus models and none of the proper classic ones

That should really do it ............ :shock:

The US meeting looked fantastic (and sunny)
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:31 pm

I agree it's great to see so many oldies (Lotus that is) gathered together in the U.S., and I guess that many travelled a long way to attend. A great mix of originals and modified as well...thanks for putting the pics up Jason.

John...get your S4 down to Castle Coombe next year...it's in June, and you can just about get away with reduced thermal underware...about 60 or so pre-74 cars there this year...could be a lot better though. Had a couple of pics from a chap in Japan last year where they held a meet in Yokohama...85 Elans turned up, and not an M100 amongst them :D
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:52 pm

Sounds good Mark, I know this topic has come up before and tends to provoke a response but it seems that most classics meet when the sun shines but not Lotus.

I attend quite a few shows through the summer but I'm a bit precious about the Elan and have no desire to drive it when it's not comfortable to go topless

I have visions of a nice sunny park full of Chapman Lotus models not some draughty old shed when it's (usually) hissing down outside - the factory open days used to be good, back in the day.
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:05 am

Hill climbs in the UK - Prescott, Shelsley Walsh (always good for a Lotus showing). Or follow the Sun... Classic Le Mans, Angouleme (Circuit des Remparts) and other gatherings, both official and unofficial.

I suppose you could include Goodwood Revival, but I have found that rather expensive for the full Monty. Classic Le Mans was cheaper (for two people), including the crossing, accomodation and circuit passes! The French Lotus clubs put on a superb display. The distances some of the US drivers cover make the European destinations in your back garden by comparison.

I have always found that the most enjoyable part of these events is the journey there, looking round the car parks and good lunches (although at Shelsley Walsh, the gut buster burgers are best avoided).

An additional spice to the journey is the nagging fear that something will break! So a long run is a great incentive to fix those obscure problems and checking your recovery policy is up to date.

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:43 am

Classic Le Mans next year again. I will be going in my Elan we should organise a "LotusElan.net" invasion.

Sadly Club Lotus and Lotus Drivers Club are very poor at this sort of thing. :cry:
Attachments
124.jpg and
Comfortable accommodation at Classic Le Mans 2006
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:54 am

Jason,

Many thanks for posting the photos. As I am still here in Denver visiting my sister and moving my daughter, I haven't had much time to visit this site since the show. A few notes that may be of interest. The light blue S2 had a BDA engine in it. The Green Elan with the yellow stripe belongs to fellow lister Sarto. It got my vote for best of show. Finally, the red/white Sprint that came from NY belongs to Kenny Mance. Well, it actually belongs to his wife Dee. It got my vote for best S4/Sprint. No only did Kenny and Dee drive the car from NY, but they won their class, beating many trailered cars. I mentioned this to Peter Egan from Road & Track. I'll be interested to see if he includes this information in his upcoming story about LOG 27.

So how could I vote for Sarto's car for best of show and then vote for Dee's car for best S4/Sprint? Hey, I had to spread the votes around!
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: