Driving the mountains of Colorado- LOG 27

PostPost by: mac5777 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:25 pm

Independence Pass was a great drive. Big boulders, winding cliff hanging curves. My wife did not like driving so close to the edge.

For a laugh,--- on the way back down the mountain I had to slow to 15+ mph on some of the narrow sharp corners, I noticed a cyclist coming down at a high rate of speed, so I moved over and waved him by. As he passed me on the corner, he yelled, "I can't believe I'm passing a lotus on a corner? I yelled back that I would deny it. He obviously had some knowledge of Lotus.

lotuselan.net members were there. It was great to put a face to the name, some without their cars, but still attended the LOG. A lotuselan.net flag along with club flags was a great idea. Kiyoshi displayed our flag--Golden Gate Lotus Club GGLC and we placed in our categories

What an event at LOG 27 in Aspen, Snowmass, CO. Jason's photos of the LOG 27 covered it well. One more picture of my elan and Kiyoshi's beautiful red ?lan DHC. I'm sure more photos will follow. We trailered ours 1250 miles one-way and many much further.
Sarto
Attachments
DSC00033.JPG and
Phyliss would not look at me as I was on the edge taking the photo.
DSC00042.JPG and
DSC00019.JPG and
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:48 pm

Was there any mention of the location for LOG 28? The Lotus Ltd. site has been down for a while. I hope it is a bit closer to the east coast (and that I have a running Elan to take there).

My wife could not have dealt with driving those roads at any kind of speed. And if I'd been on a bicycle, it would not have been me passing you! I'm not that brave.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:06 pm

Indianopolis, I don't know much more. The LOG 27 was the closest ever to the West coast. You East coast people get all the breaks. The next one I may fly only --no car, too far.
The guy on the bike, I did not catch up to him until the bottom.
Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:05 pm

mac5777 wrote:Indianopolis, I don't know much more. The LOG 27 was the closest ever to the West coast. You East coast people get all the breaks. The next one I may fly only --no car, too far.
Sarto

Under 1,000 miles then. I guess there have been several LOGs relatively nearby (one nearly in my backyard) but since I've been interested in going, they have been in Texas and Colorado.

Track day on the F1 circuit at the Speedway? The F1 guys don't need it any more.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:19 pm

Most of the LOG's have been in the east, simply because the club was originated and based in the east. As the club has expanded nationally, so has the number of groups wanting to host the event.

I have been fortunate enough to attend 10 LOG's, and Indy is sounding tempting.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:52 am

Log was a great trip and an excellent drive on fun challenging roads.
Log 28 next year will only tour Indy track and museum. Track day is not there but at a different location. The hotel is in downtown Hilton with the car show in the middle of the goverment buildings in downtown. Can't remember the name, sorry.
The downtown area is full of great resturants which is a plus. Will be kind of different with Log being in a down town location.
At the open board meeting they were presented a location for Log 29 going back to Birmingham, AL. They also talked about driving school to happen at that Log event.
Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jmesh » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:26 am

Hi Sarto,

It was nice meeting you and so many other Lotus owners.

Independence Pass really is the perfect Lotus road. I wasn't sure I'd take it on the way home but decided I was more scared of the 18-wheelers and SUV drivers who can't see me on I-70 than I was of my brakes failing on the pass. The east side has no guardrail and no boulders. Just air!

But what a drive. 4 hours of fun. Can't wait for another excuse to head up there. Maybe I'll go drive up a local canyon on my lunch hour tomorrow. :D

Jason
jmesh
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: