UK Insurance excess????

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:27 pm

Just received a letter from my insurance company saying that they have authorised the body repairs to my Elan, the other fellow has admitted full responsibility and I have been deemed not at fault. However, they say that hey have instructed the body-shop to collect a policy excess of ?150. :?

Does this sound correct? I rather expected to be charged an excess if I had been responsible but not the other way round.

Cheers,
Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:05 pm

Hi Pete

What has happened to me before was that the insurance give the go ahead to repair and collect your excess. This is in case the other party change their mine about responsibility, they then claim this back from the 3rd party after the repair and give you your money back.

It is so the repair goes ahead quicker so they do not have to provide you with a hire car.

Which insurance company are you with? I was with Endsleigh, never again!!

A good company would not charge you this excess.

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:29 pm

Jason,
I insured via Lancaster, who advertise heavily for classic cars. The company is Allianz Cornhill. When I told Lancaster about the accident they put me straight onto Allianz and did not appear to want to be involved with the claim. I seem to have some Legal Protection via Lancaster with a firm of solicitors and it says that they can get my excess back; seems all to be a bit convoluted.

Thanks for responding.

Cheers.
Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: zarelan » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:31 pm

Pete,

Exactly the same happened to me too. Someone run onto the back of my Elan. The other party admitted they were at fault, but I still had to pay the excess, which I then recovered through the legal cover that I have with my classic policy. Seemed strange to me at that time, but it all worked ok. I am with Heritage, which by they way did a very good job of sorting everything out.

--Antonio
zarelan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: sk178ta » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:43 am

Pete, some ignoramus backed into the, parked, Elise, do you remember?. Firstly pretended he hadn`t, then said it was only a bit of plastic etc. refused to even apologise. He wouldn`t respond to our or his insurance but I had 3 independent witnesses so he was given 3 months to respond etc. etc. Anyway, the long and the short of it was that not only did I have to pay the excess but my renewal came up during this period and I was docked my NCB. Once the claim was settled, without legal intervention, the insurers reimbursed me.
Jim (the Elan comes back from Portugal today)
sk178ta
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: