He was out on his motorcycle, so couldn't. He has two Elans of his own though
67 Elan S3
04 Caterham 7 Superlight R
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:02 am

Indeed, I did not know that. I wonder if there are any pics of them somewhere.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mopho » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:24 am

I am not sure what color the other one is, I think light blue, I have heard it is a restoration project
Attachments
lenoelan.JPG and
67 Elan S3
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: hatman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:21 am

I understand that he's to front a new, American version of BBC's 'Top Gear', together with Jerry Sienfeld(?) True?
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:04 am

That chin is also recognised this side of the pond!

He writes in the Sunday Times newspaper Top Gear section and freelances occasional articles in other magazines too, I believe.

Looks like he's wearing a cop badge on his leathers!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MintSprint » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:56 pm

trw99 wrote:... and freelances occasional articles in other magazines too, I believe.

He writes a regular column for Octane magazine, too, which centred on his Elans not so long ago.
MintSprint
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:19 pm

Mopho,
Were you so excited that you forgot to tell us your Elan is back together and on the road again? Leno stories are common back east in Massachusetts where he grew up. I have heard he had a part time job at Foreign Motors when he was in high school. Apparently he had the wonderful assignment of washing cosmoline off of Rolls Royces. He also pestered one of the salespeople about becoming his agent. Of course the saleperson declined having no view into the future. I've forgotten this salespersons name but he had a flawless black AC Aceca, unfortunately he passed away a few years ago.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mopho » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:29 pm

CBUEB1771 wrote:Mopho,
Were you so excited that you forgot to tell us your Elan is back together and on the road again?

:oops: It's been on the road since September

Leno stories are common back east in Massachusetts where he grew up.

You'll appreciate this: I was telling him about how I recently drove the new Nissan GTR and I described it as "Wicked fast", he looked at me funny and says "you're from Boston aren't you?" LOL

I don't have a Boston accent, but "wicked" is commonly used by Bostonians

Looks like he's wearing a cop badge on his leathers!

I think it is a 1-11 foundation badge, which is a charity with a very steep minimum donation, to help the children of fallen police officers. Supposedly, if you have the badge and license plate frame it helps the police forgive your speeding offense if you get pulled over.
An LA officer was killed in the line of duty the other day, so perhaps he was also wearing it in solidarity, as I don't think he has much to worry about getting tickets
67 Elan S3
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mopho » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:30 pm

hatman wrote:I understand that he's to front a new, American version of BBC's 'Top Gear', together with Jerry Sienfeld(?) True?

I've heard similar rumors. I know a few automotive journalists who auditioned for the jobs, but they have since been told that the producers decided to go with celebrities
67 Elan S3
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:31 am

Not long ago I was traveling down Sherman Way in N Hollywood when this really tiny RHD roadster passed me on the right. I recognized it as a Honda S500 (a friend had a S600 Coupe - 9500 RPM - and I had almost imported a S800 5-speed before I got my first Lotus).

The next traffic light, this car was in the left turn lane as I stopped. I rolled down my window and said "don't see many of these anymore". The guy grinned and told my a little about the car before the light changed. It was Leno.

My girlfriend used to see him frequently as she commuted over the mountain from the SFV to Westwood and Leno was coming the other way from BH to the NBC studio in Burbank in some interesting car.

And he is a frequent sight on weekends in one group or another of big old cars. I hadn't realized he had a soft spot in his heart for small old sports cars also, but I guess he is the compleat car nut.

The Honda was featured in a restoration feature a short time later.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pamitchell » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:15 am

Jay's flattering article on his two Elans is in the Dec 07 Octane mag which also has a feature article on the Elite Type 14.
Phil
Phil
1968 S4/SE FHC 36-7936
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: