Not Elan - Coventry Climax powered Lotus Seven S1

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:15 pm

Wednesday I had lunch with the regulars in Ayer at Tiny's restaraunt. Afterwards we all went back to take a look at some work one of our members was
doing. Basicly its a full reskin/rebuild of a Climax powered Series 1 Seven and the tub was back for fitting the steering column and later this week, a new
rollbar. Took nearly 20 photos, some were very similar so here are a few. I will add some more when progress dictates the need. Enjoy...

garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:21 am

Gary ,

Those are great pictures , I love to see new alu on a freshly painted or powder coated space frame. The sad part is that they never look as good that first year, unless of course you never drive it ( or race it) BTW , it may be a SII seven 0r Eleven thing , but were not the dash's made out of red lamiplate ?
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:53 am

Gary,
At first I was relieved to think that we fat buggers didn't get into the photos, but there are traces... I'll have to remember to take my tie off before I get to lunch, had I done so I might have remained anon.
Russ
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:46 am

I thought I would add an image of the same Seven from one of its outings at Lime Rock last June. Tony was not collected by the spinning Turner. The rebuild was prompted by bottom chassis tube corrosion and the need to deal with DPO "enhancements".
Attachments
DSC_0027.jpg and
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:00 am

cabc26b wrote:Gary ,

Those are great pictures , I love to see new alu on a freshly painted or powder coated space frame. The sad part is that they never look as good that first year, unless of course you never drive it ( or race it) BTW , it may be a SII seven 0r Eleven thing , but were not the dash's made out of red lamiplate ?

I don't know about when the red lamiplate, we will have to wait and see in the follow up photos. It is suppose to be running soon but Coventy Climax rod bearings in .010 are in short supply. The chassis is painted as far as I know, I didn't ask about it as powdercoat has no place on a race car chassis in my opinion.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:09 am

CBUEB1771 wrote:Gary,
At first I was relieved to think that we fat buggers didn't get into the photos, but there are traces... I'll have to remember to take my tie off before I get to lunch, had I done so I might have remained anon.
Russ

Just be glad I was taking that picture balancing my self on top of that handy Zetec cylinder head, otherwise I would have had faces to go along with the bellies. Maybe you should just wear a coat like Dave. :)
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:40 am

Very nice! The grey enamel (?) space frame and ally skins reminds me of my days 'playing' with a 23......

Roy
'65S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:47 pm

"powdercoat has no place on a race car chassis in my opinion"

The reason ??
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:05 pm

cabc26b wrote:
"powdercoat has no place on a race car chassis in my opinion"

The reason ??

Cracks are easier to see with paint, I think powdercoat is more resilient. Plus I live in New England and it has a real bad reputation that I cant let go of.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:21 am

Update

The chassis wes sent out for a new roll over bar (the first try was 3 inches short) well this one is 3 inches tall, so it goes I guess. Anyway progress is being
made and schedualed for a race the weekend after next. Engine is together and waiting to go on the dyno (dyno man is out sick with bad cold). we will have
to see idf it all comes together in time...

garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Thu May 01, 2008 1:41 pm

Race day at Lime Rock is now less than 48 hours away. I thought I would volunteer the day on Wednesday to see if I could help the cause. The engine came back from the dyno but a minor strip down was needed to cure an oil pressure problem. Fuel cell, engine and gearbox went in during the morning and afternoon. The new rear wings appeared later in the day with a fantastic polish. Nothing is easy with an old race car. Several bits went in and out a few times for fettling. The nail of my left forefinger is turning an interesting shade as I had the assignment of keeping clutch slave push rod pointing in the correct direction as engine and 'box went down and back. I left in the early evening as Chris was cutting the hole in the side panel for the exhaust manifold. Will it be done on time? In true Lotus tradition I think a fair amount of work will be needed in the paddock on Friday morning.
Attachments
DSC_0006.jpg and
DSC_0004.jpg and
DSC_0001.jpg and
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mopho » Thu May 01, 2008 2:59 pm

Is that over at Sevens and Elans?
67 Elan S3
04 Caterham 7 Superlight R
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu May 01, 2008 3:40 pm

mopho wrote:Is that over at Sevens and Elans?

Yes it is.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mopho » Fri May 02, 2008 4:40 pm

I actually just bought a Seven (Caterham), hopefully should be here in a few weeks.
67 Elan S3
04 Caterham 7 Superlight R
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Fri May 02, 2008 4:46 pm

mopho wrote:I actually just bought a Seven (Caterham), hopefully should be here in a few weeks.

Excellent, save your lunch money for a year or two and get alloy wings and a nose! Is this a new one? What is the basic specification?
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: