Insurance with Towergate Hall & Clarke - BEWARE

PostPost by: chrishewett » Wed May 21, 2008 5:22 pm

I recently paid my annual premium of ?118.40 to the above company over the phone by debit card. I was shocked when I looked at my account on the internet two days later and found that they had debited the sum of ?11,840.00. As I have recently moved house more than this amount was in my current account. When I phoned them they admitted that they had made a mistake and would refund the amount. As I type the money is not in my account. They assure me that it will be at some time in the future. They show no interest in keeping a customer. The manager, Christopher Bowers, refuses to speak to me. They say that if I show documentory evidence of the interest I have lost they will reimburse me otherwise they seem to have no concern that they have deprived me of nearly ?12,000 for at least two or three days.
I have now cancelled the insurance and reinsured with a new company. It remains to be seen if I get the refund they have promised me.
I wonder what would have happened if I had made a claim while insured with them. Their level of customer service is about as low as I have seen for many years.
I leave you all with this warning.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:55 pm

Chris,

Two questions - what are you doing with ?12k in your current account, or is it just a big overdraft?

Both mine and my wife's bank always telephone for confirmation before clearance when a large amount is paid on the debit cards. We also get calls from our credit card companies on large amounts. All in the name of security of course.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Thu May 22, 2008 6:57 am

Brian,
Good question.
I have just moved house and a lump of the proceeds were left in the current account before being moved elseware. This money would already have been moved if it hadn't been purloined. Had I not had this amount of cleared funds I have no doubt the bank wouldn't have paid out. I am at present talking to the bank as the money is still not back today.
I repeat that Towergate are completely disinterested and unhelpful.
Thanks for your interest.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Thu May 22, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi Chris,
This kind of think makes my blood boil. Thanks for the warning about these shysters. Hopefully bad publicity will make them have an attack of guilt and send you your money.

Really feel for you and I hope you get your money back plus lost interest soon.
Kind regards
Jeff 72+2
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:34 pm

Chris

They are regulated by the FSA. I suggest you wing an e-mail off to the FSA soonest, copy to Towergate.

If that doesn't get them moving, they deserve to be out of business, but that will not help you. Try also writing to one of the newspaper financial journalists, like Diana Wright at the Sunday Times, again copy to Towergate.

I hope you get your money back very soon.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Thu May 22, 2008 6:52 pm

Thanks Jeff & Tim,
This whole thing is really becoming very stressful.
The bank are sending me a form which I have to sign and send back so they can try and get the money back.
Meanwhile I have tried to arrange insurance with Lancaster insurance who quoted me ?127.00 yesterday which has suddenly grown to ?230.00 today. I declined their offer!
Who are you guys using? Any suggestions as to who I can try tomorrow?
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu May 22, 2008 8:19 pm

Chris

Just got my insurance documents out to recommend them to you....but guess what.......Towergate....?83.00....Fully comp...

John :oops: :oops: :oops:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Thu May 22, 2008 9:54 pm

John,
Just don't use your debit card to pay next time. And I hope you never have to claim.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Fri May 23, 2008 8:01 am

I always use a credit card for this sort of thing, then under UK law the credit card company are liable for sorting it out and repaying any costs.

Kevin
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Fri May 23, 2008 11:10 am

Chris try Hagerty at silverstone web is hagerty.com i have a multi car policy with them very reasonable but i know a TVR owner who had to claim very helpful & no arguments.
Tel no 01327 856002 ask for Darren i have no connection with them other than as a satisfied customer.
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elan_fan » Sun May 25, 2008 8:15 am

I used to use Footman James in conjunction with Club Lotus
elan_fan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon May 26, 2008 11:59 am

I've used Carole Nash wihch was the recommendation from Paul Matty.

Last year was ?115.20 which includes breakdown recovery and legal protection, and an agreed value of ?16k.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: