DIY Garage in Acton London

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:58 pm

You lucky people in London.

At last there is a DIY Garage in London, open 7 days a week 24 hours a day; hopefully this will catch on and we will get lots of these near to where I live.

http://www.pitstartgarage.com/index.html

When I was working in a Motor Vehicle college over 10 years ago I suggested we do this with the college facilities. If local colleges charged ?10 p/h for bays and ?20 p/h for ramps I would jump at the chance and the college would be able to fund new equipment.

I believe you guys in the US have been doing this for years?

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dusty » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:38 pm

What a fantastic idea and 24/7.

Bet their insurance bill is steep though!
dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:12 pm

They're certainly fairly widespread in this part of Germany, not 24/7 though, that's a bit OTT
Most of the car parts places close down at midday on Friday for the weekend, so it's a matter of good planning;which is not a bad thing?
The extended shopping hours in GB are IMHO crazy, who needs to go shopping on Sunday?
Surely it puts the cost of the goods up?
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dusty » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:16 pm

A lot of people who have a 9-5 job will want to do this kind of work in the evening or at weekends. I agree though not many will want to do it at 3am!
dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:26 pm

not many will want to do it at 3am!

I would, kids are in bed wife is asleep. Think I'll pop out for a couple of hours.

I got my oil changed in Kwik-fit the other day I had to make a 4pm appointment and then waited over a hour for the car to get on the ramp and then over a hour for them to change the oil and filter. If I could book a ramp for 30 mins I would have done it on my way home from work.

I love the idea of 24 hour opening; how often has a 30 min job taken all day? I remember trying to change a Mini 'A' series distributor for a 'A+' electronic one. Discovered the dizzy drive was different so tried to swap it over; 'plonk' the drive fell into the gearbox. :oops: Now my 30 min job turns into an engine out and gearbox off, retrieve the dizzy drive and refit. Fortunately it was Sunday in my bosses garage so I had lots of time. These things do happen. :roll:

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: