Adventure to Scotland

PostPost by: Greg Foster » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:56 pm

Greetings all.
My wife and I plus a few old friends will be flying from the US to England and then travelling to Scotland to trek the Great Glenn Way and the West Highland Way. Of course, while in the homeland of Lotus, I thought it would be nice to pick up a few needed parts for my s130. parts such as rear lamps complete, a headliner( the perforated kind) etc. etc. So any suggestions as to who would have most of what I would need would be appreciated. Any suggestions regarding MUST SEE places are welcome.
Regards!
Greg Foster
72+2s130
Greg Foster
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:32 am

Greg,
Never been to Scotland myself but "The Jim Clark Room" might be worth a visit http://www.holy-island.info/jim-clark/
and at the other end of the U.K. in Surrey is "The Brooklands Museum"
very interesting as it has motor sport and avation history, you can walk on the old banked race ciruit, scary to think they raced on it! but that was in the days when racing drivers were not over paid entertainers! :lol:
www.brooklandsmuseum.com
I use Paul Matty for spares but there are others who are just as good.
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:14 am

Greg,

Can't agree more with Brian. A "must see" is the Jim Clark room in Duns, Berwickshire. (Duns is a small country town approx 40 miles South East of Edinburgh).

The Jim Clark room is a museum run by the Scottish Borders Council and is just that - a large room in one of the public buildings. It is full of Jim Clark memorabilia, photographs and trophies. If you have an ounce of motor racing blood in you, you'll find it very nostalgic.
Have a look in the visitor's book and you'll find many famous signatures including Ayrton Senna's.
Sorry to go on but Clark is my all time racing hero and the 60s were my favourite racing era.

While you are in Scotland, if you are around on the second Wednesday of the month we hold our Club Lotus meeting at the Boness Motor Museum. This is 16 miles East of Edinburgh on the shores of the river Forth. Why not pay us a visit?

I also do a lot of walking in Scotland so if I can be of help (e.g. routes, maps, advice, where to get kit etc.) drop me an e-mail at [email protected]. Only too glad to help a fellow Lotus nut. (we need all the help we can get) :D

Regards,

Hamish.

(+2 S130)
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:09 am

If your a real Jim Clark affectionardo you also need to visits Jims grave to pay homage. Its in a small churchyard near where his farm was a little distance out of Duns.

My cousin who still lives near Duns grew up with Jim Clark and his descriptions of Jims unnatural driving talent around the lanes of Berkshire when they were young show why he was the best ever from the very beginning, some people are just born with the talent.

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Greg Foster » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:18 pm

Thanks for your replies. I had been out of town for the last week and am just catching up to every day life. What could I expect to pay for a rental car or would it be better to use public transportation?
Greg
Greg Foster
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:59 pm

In the sticks in Scotland there is not much in the way of public transport, a rental car is the way to go. Just check out the usual suspects web sites and see what deal you can get. A usful tip is do not get a big car if you dont need the space. A smaller car is much easier to park and thread through some of the very narrow back lanes.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:11 pm

Greg Foster wrote: . What could I expect to pay for a rental car or would it be better to use public transportation?Greg

Public Transport! ...Only if you are staying in a big city or unless you have lots lots of time to wait for buses, coaches and change trains, taxi's cost an arm and a leg! Hire car is the way to go, how much it costs depends on size of car, milage etc. (I'm sure you could hire a Lotus :lol: )
Use one of the recognized company's Hertz, Avis etc, there are some cowboys out there, once my card was charged for extra's I had not agreed too plus a parking fine I had not incurred, It was a hassle to get the charges refunded.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: