NEC Classic Car Show.

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:50 am

Who's all going to the NEC show in November. Anyone?

AB...........
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dr Brian » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:52 am

Nope - but I'm going to Scotland in mine. Hopefully
Dr Brian
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:54 am

When?

AB
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:19 am

Went last year and was pleasantly surprised.
Often NEC events arn't worth the dosh..
Day was probably enhanced by going with a friend who worked in the motor industry in the UK in '60s, '70s and '80s and had some wonderful tales..
Might go this year if i;m free
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:19 am

Hivvens Tim..You are only up the road.You can't miss that event right on your doorstep..?8.00 to park this year though !!

I usually stay in Balsal common Travel inn. This year we are a bit further out of town.. ..... London in fact..

Let us know who is going. I enjoyed meeting up at Donnington and the wee natter..
Have to admit though I was not feeling well. Just before my op that was.

Look forward to meeting a few of you there. I will be there around 11am Sat and spending the day. Wife and 'Darling Daughter' (as she calls herself) in tow.
I will no doubt be found drooling on the Burton Stand (among others) Bought my ramp there last year. Should be a cheaper visit this year.

AB....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi All

I'm attending on the Friday and part time on Sunday. My +2 will be on the LDC stand (all being well). It would be good to talk to any lotuselan.members.

Regards Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:42 pm

I know, I know...
Trouble is, living 10 miles from the NEC, 2 miles from Stoneleigh and 30 miles from Malvern means that if I am not careful I spend all my time and money at car shows. :D ..
don't get me wrong, I like a car show like the next petrolhead...
But one year I totted it all up (bad mistake). 12 weekends and >?150 in entrance fees (thats without factoring in bacon butties)..
Anyhow...
Will probably go to this one, the lotus show, classic autosport, kit car show, restoration show and MG show (new aquisition)..
By the way.. NEVER go to the Ford show at stoneligh.. Truly awful..
Cheers
tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:08 am

?8 to Park :evil: that will be a No.
Neil
neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:44 pm

Don't blame you. I would be giving it a miss also this year, but going down to London anyway. So a trip up to Birmingham for 16 quid return will do me. Some nice cars to see. Some (Hopefully!) friends to meet & a few beers to drink (Which one can't do if paying the ?8.00). Bullseye.

Just worried about the 'shopping' costs!! :roll: :roll:

Heh!!...Its only money!!

Alex B..... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:35 pm

little hint from a local..
If you don't want to pay 8 pounds, go to hampton in arden station and get the train (it takes 3-4 minutes). plenty of parking at the station..
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:44 pm

We normally stay In Hampton In Arden when exhibiting at the NEC. Never thought of getting a train in.

I will remember that tip Tim...

AB...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:23 am

?8 to park will be a no from me as well....and I drive past it every Friday on my way home.

I am also an ex-local, from Fillongley, and if I remember rightly, the tip about getting the train only really works if you go on your own, as the ticket is around ?3 return.

The organisers could go somewhere else and stop making the rather irrelevant point that this is an NEC charge, not theirs. Partners in crime.

Yours cheerfully,
Misery Guts
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:38 am

Hi Guys,

The parking charge has allways been a bone of contention. Steadily rises year on year. But I tell you what, you want to try exhibiting in the place. Howlingly expensive caper that is. AND all the local hotels cash in on the big shows too. The result can be mindblowing. Last time we exhbited the parking was free though!

Buying a Bacon butty and a tea one morning, one of my coleeglies and I weighed the bacon (Something to do I supose) and worked out that a biggish pig was worth more than a Porsche. Tea was not cheap either. I remember many years ago buying 2 bottles of beer and two bags of crisps and getting a bill for near on 8 quid. 4 at that time was well dear enough! They also tried to sell us sandwiches which were about a week old.

However.. I am still going. We will have all provisions with us and getting the train from London = no parking charges..

Brill......

Take care guys.. Alex..
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:58 pm

I shall probably go on the Friday --- by train using my free pass :lol: 8) :lol:
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:43 pm

And as an added bonus, if you go on friday or saturday you can visit canley classics in Fillongley and pick up all your triumph related parts!
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: