Classic Marathon 2010!

PostPost by: GreekS1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:04 am

Hi all!
Was thinking of tackling the Classic Marathon this year.. Located around the Pyrenees it should be a great event!
I haven?t been on a marathon before and have a little concern about doing it in the Elan. I think I?ve seen a couple of Elans in the previous years? pictures. Has anybody on here done one of these before?? If so, is it considered a tough event.. I?ve done a Classic Acropolis rally and about half a dozen other regularities here in Greece with no major difficulties, but nothing as long as this.
The car is in good condition but in so many miles something will go wrong.. There?s also the issue of getting there from Athens. It starts at Beaune in central France. I would need to take the ferry from Patras to Brindisi and board a car train to Milan. From there its about 500km to Beaune. Then a total 2300km of the rally? and then the return trip?.
1967 Elan S3 SE FHC
2000 Elise S1 - Sold

Athens - Greece
GreekS1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rodbean » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:03 pm

Seems like you should compare notes with Allison and Peter http://www.rallyelan.com. The best of luck to you too!

Rod Bean
rodbean
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Allison » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:32 pm

Hi GreeksS1,
sorry for the late reply but I didn't see your post earlier. Hopefully you took Rod's advice and checked out our website. We've just come back from Patagonia where we did the best part of 10,000km as well as turning the car onto its roof ........all things you won't encounter on a Classic Marathon. We've done a Classic Marathon round Croatia, Bosnia and Slovenia; I think it was late 2005 but I can't remember exactly.

Incidentally I've just added the report of our first rally - to Athens via Albania in the yellow Elan - and we drove straight back to UK via Patras. No trouble so long as you give the car a thorough service first and take a selection of spare parts (which you hope and expect never to use). If you'd like further info see our website www.rallyelan.com or email at [email protected]

I'm sure you'll enjoy it,
best wishes
Peter
Allison
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: