Wheeler Dealer just watched

PostPost by: Crusty » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:32 pm

Just watched Wheeler Dealers
Was that Elan a bit funny
looked like an S3 with S4 power hump and S4 badge. Did S3's have framed windows on the doors ive forgotten
Crusty
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:25 am

It was simply an early S4 using up the remainder of the parts stock from the S3 build.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark t » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:40 am

i just saw it on youtube thought it was great. i can not stop dreaming of the day i get my 1966 s2 on the road.

mark t
los osos ca.
mark t
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:42 am

bcmc33 wrote:It was simply an early S4 using up the remainder of the parts stock from the S3 build.

I don't think so Brian, The main part of the shell, rear underpan, rear panel etc is all S3. The doors are S3, the dash is S3. The only obvious S4 parts are the front arches, bonnet and badges.

My guess would be a S4 identity repaired using most of an S3 car sometime back in the dim and distant past.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:17 am

nebogipfel wrote:
bcmc33 wrote:It was simply an early S4 using up the remainder of the parts stock from the S3 build.

I don't think so Brian, The main part of the shell, rear underpan, rear panel etc is all S3. The doors are S3, the dash is S3. The only obvious S4 parts are the front arches, bonnet and badges.

My guess would be a S4 identity repaired using most of an S3 car sometime back in the dim and distant past.

You could be right, John. I did only look at the video for about the last 60 seconds. I guess the only way to find out is with the VIN and Lotus records.
With all that has been said about this car, and the high price paid, I doubt that the new owner would own up on this forum.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: johnsimister » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:17 pm

It appears to be a late S3 with some S4 bits, built on the cusp of the S3/S4 changeover. My S3 coupe was similar in that regard, even down to wearing S4 badges and a power bulge originally, although mine also had an S4-type dash albeit with red lettering (making it a Super Safety of sorts). So it might not be quite the bitsa it appears to be. I was talking to Mike Brewer about it the other day, who said it has worn that colour scheme since new because its first owner wanted his car to resemble the then-new Gold Leaf F1 cars. So it pre-dated the Sprint colour scheme.

I too was suspicuous when I first saw this car, but it's more genuine than it seems. The S4 front arches are harder to accept, however. A repair with later parts? An original shell made up with a mix of mouldings at the factory?

John
johnsimister
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:42 pm

johnsimister wrote:I too was suspicuous when I first saw this car, but it's more genuine than it seems. The S4 front arches are harder to accept, however. A repair with later parts? An original shell made up with a mix of mouldings at the factory?

John

I'm gonna remain sceptical :D

I've never seen a genuine S4 with a S3 shell from the factory (that doesn't mean they don't exist of course) but having said that, I would be amazed if Lotus sent out the new S4 model with the then "old fashioned" rear lights and door furniture. They were after all features of the new facelift S4. They absolutely would not send a car out with S3 and S4 arches

The main shell and rear under section with accomodation for a transverse exhaust is also clearly S3.

It has almost certainly had extensive repairs using (probably a secondhand S3 shell) at some point in the dim and distant Unless of course it started life as a S3 and has had an identity change.

None of this matters of course if the new owner is happy and enjoys his Elan.

Whatever it is it's more a Lotus than any of these Spyder Zetec concoctions (dons flack jacket and ducks for cover :shock: :lol: :lol: )
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:50 pm

Mine is an S3 with an S4 front & S4 wheel arches, consequence of a prang I had in about 1972-73.

I elected for the repairers to fit S4 arches so that I could use wider tyres. Possibly it was normal practice then if S3 mouldings were unavailable or hard to get.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Crusty » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:45 pm

johnsimister wrote:It appears to be a late S3 with some S4 bits, built on the cusp of the S3/S4 changeover. My S3 coupe was similar in that regard, even down to wearing S4 badges and a power bulge originally, although mine also had an S4-type dash albeit with red lettering (making it a Super Safety of sorts). So it might not be quite the bitsa it appears to be. I was talking to Mike Brewer about it the other day, who said it has worn that colour scheme since new because its first owner wanted his car to resemble the then-new Gold Leaf F1 cars. So it pre-dated the Sprint colour scheme.

I too was suspicuous when I first saw this car, but it's more genuine than it seems. The S4 front arches are harder to accept, however. A repair with later parts? An original shell made up with a mix of mouldings at the factory?

John

I think I saw a snippet of yellow when they were sanding it down.
-~------~-----~------~------~-
>.....ELAN 1969 S4 SE COUPE.....<
>...SEE YOU ON THE FLIP SIDE...<
-~------~-----~------~------~-
Crusty
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: johnsimister » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:29 pm

Crusty wrote:I think I saw a snippet of yellow when they were sanding it down.

Ah, maybe I'm being too kind then. I'm only relaying what Mike told me... was the yellow on the new front end it might have had, some form of primer/filler perhaps? On second thoughts, I'm not sure I want to know!

John
johnsimister
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ivor badger » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Don't have Sky? But was on the phone to a friend last night and it was on his box while I was on the phone. He has just rebuilt a couple on Clan shells and reckons using body filler on the cracks is a complete waste of time. Or it is unless looking for a quick sale. He reckons a complete pair of chancers.
ivor badger
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:58 pm

ivor badger wrote:...........He has just rebuilt a couple on Clan shells and reckons using body filler on the cracks is a complete waste of time. Or it is unless looking for a quick sale. He reckons a complete pair of chancers.

.....and your friend is quite correct in every detail. That is NOT the way to repair an Elan :D
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ftsoft » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:53 pm

I enjoyed watching this. I was bothered by the fact that they wanted top dollar, yet fixed a relatively small number of things. It seems like with the wear and tear that they DID find there would be more to worry about. Also once he sanded down to the fiberglass what SHOULD he have used to build it up again? Layer up fiberglass? Just wondering. One thing is for sure, I'm going to recheck my doughnuts. I checked them while the engine was being overhauled last year and I thought they were pretty good, but I want to take another look.
66 S2 26/5194
LP4711LA-B
ftsoft
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:04 pm

Mike Abbas has been offering a mongrel car which has S4 front arches on an S3 body too.

http://www.mikeabbasclassiccars.co.uk/carsforsale.htm
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:22 pm

ftsoft wrote:........ Also once he sanded down to the fiberglass what SHOULD he have used to build it up again? Layer up fiberglass? Just wondering.

Large areas of damage should be ground out and reglassed with fiberglass matting. Small star cracks and crazing should be ground back sufficiently to get through the damage and then either reglassed with standard weight matting or with fine surfacing tissue if more superficial. Final surfacing can be done with a thin skim of polyester filler. Miles Wilkins recommends coating the whole shell once repaired with polyester spray filler (special filler thin enough to spray with the appropriate gun) and I have used this method and concur.

If you do a quick search you will find this has been discussed many times on the forum.

FWIW I strongly advise that water should be avoided in any stage of the preparation of a fiberglass shell until the final primer coat is flatted. In this respect my advice differs from Miles.

(Never Never flat fillers wet, they soak up water like a sponge)

Obviously if you have a spray oven suitable for use with a fiberglass shell you can take more liberties with water during prep' but most of us do not.

Be warned IMO not all the methods described are good ones, although I do not claim any great expertise :wink:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: