Uk road tax / insurance change

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Mon May 23, 2011 7:11 am

New law get your off road cars listed with the DVLA Declare SORN

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13493056

DVLA do it here
http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPor ... clare+SORN
Neil
Last edited by neilsjuke on Mon May 23, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon May 23, 2011 1:23 pm

As I understand it a car that was last taxed before 31st Jan 1998 does not need to be SORN'd and is also exempt from this requirement to be insured.......until it is put back on the road. So if you are restoring such a car you do not need to take any action.....yet ! Or am I missing something ?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696

"If you're the registered keeper of a vehicle, it must be insured at all times.

The only exceptions are:

if you have made a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) for the vehicle

vehicles that have been kept off-road since before SORN came into force on 31 January 1998 - unless they are brought back into use"

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Mon May 23, 2011 2:27 pm

My understanding of this is that its not a road tax change...........its a (new) requirement to have the car insured at all times.

Even if the car is SORN'd

Or in bits.

Essentially, I believe if you have the V5, then you will have to :

Have it SORN'ed, or a valid tax disc
    Have it insured

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon May 23, 2011 3:26 pm

richardcox_lotus wrote:My understanding of this is that its not a road tax change...........its a (new) requirement to have the car insured at all times.

Or in bits.

Essentially, I believe if you have the V5, then you will have to :

Have it SORN'ed, or a valid tax disc
    Have it insured

Regards
Richard

Sorry, I just can't believe that.
If a car is SORN'd then everybody who matters knows that, that car should not be on the road, under any circumstances, with the exception of traveling to a pre-arranged MOT test.
Apart from that one exception nobody can insist that you insure that car to comply with the road traffic act; why should they? The car is officially "off the road"

My car has been SORN'd for the past 2 years & I won't be forking out for any insurance until I fix a date with an MOT station prior to putting the car back on the road.

Have I missed something somewhere please?

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon May 23, 2011 3:31 pm

richardcox_lotus wrote:My understanding of this is that its not a road tax change...........its a (new) requirement to have the car insured at all times.

Or in bits.

Well that's not what it says on the DirectGov website.........

"The new vehicle insurance law means that the registered keeper of a vehicle must keep it insured unless they've made a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). If you're not insured and haven't made a SORN, you could face a penalty."

So if the vehicle is registered (ie has a V5) then it must be.....
either:-
a) Taxed and Insured
or:-
b) SORN'd

Unless it was last taxed before 31st Jan 1998 (pre-SORN introduction) in which case it requires neither SORN nor Insurance until it's taxed again for the first time.

I agree with John.

The great thing about UK legislation it's perfectly clear to everyone and not open to misinterpretation :D
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:37 pm

If its SORN then you do not need to insure it.

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Mon May 23, 2011 3:43 pm

I'm now too confused :? - so much for my understanding.

So I'll wait for minds greater than mine to explain things.

Happy Monday everyone :D

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon May 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Jason1 wrote:If its SORN then you do not need to insure it.

Jason

Quite!
But Roger "Oldelanman" my car is off the road & SORN'd
However it or I has (ve) the V5 i.e. registration document showing me as the owner & the address at which the vehicle is normally kept.
I also have a SORN notice.

When SORN'd the registration document (V5) is not replaced by a SORN but retained until the car is re-registered for the road.

In order to do that a valid certificate of insurance, MOT certificate & the V5 can be presented at a Post Office & a new Tax Disc will be issued.
This will automatically (given time!) invalidate the SORN.
I believe that the whole of this procedure can be done on line & a current tax disc will be sent in the post.

In a nutshell; the V5 stays with the vehicle SORN'd or not.

Cheers
John

PS Mine's on its way back to "the Island" this weekend.
Not too long before I'll be joining it :roll:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Mon May 23, 2011 7:06 pm

As usual with UK legislation this will do absolutely bugger all to stop people driving about uninsured,no tax or MOT supposedly the group it is targetting & be a total pain in the arse for the average joe going about his daily business. There is already a ?60 fine in place so the car is either taxed or sorned already. So when the sorn reminder gets lost in the post & it is not sorn'ed in time that will be our fault absolute pain when you have several old cars. Mark you must be down the Post Office every week
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:53 pm

Unless it was last taxed before 31st Jan 1998 (pre-SORN introduction) in which case it requires neither SORN nor Insurance until it's taxed again for the first time

Having spoken to the DVLA regarding my +2 project the above is quite correct and you can check the status of your vehicle with them by telephone.

Interestingly I also have two other projects which will be hill climb cars but will never run on the public highway again, I was told these still have to be registered annually as SORN until such time they are disposed of at a registered vehicle dismantler.

John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: