Classic Car extend the 30 year rule petition

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:16 am

We live in dangerous times.

Re-instatement of a rolling exemption is most unlikely in my opinion. This government is seeking every opportunity to make cuts, not give things away.

We should also remember that classic cars are seen as very environmentally unfriendly (yet the opposite could be argued in terms of the fact that they are recycled and re-used long after they should be scrap). Nevertheless, I worry that some other EU initiative is just around the corner :shock:

IMO we should take what we have and keep very quiet.

Long may we enjoy the freedom to enjoy classic cars without silly restrictions.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:11 pm

wellll the government ALLOWS you to have the rights you enjoy now until the government wants to take them away for the governments benefit ---there are no inalienable rights ----vote wisely protest loudly -ed -
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:16 pm

twincamman wrote:wellll the government ALLOWS you to have the rights you enjoy now until the government wants to take them away for the governments benefit ---there are no inalienable rights ----vote wisely protest loudly -ed -

I'm not sure protesting or indeed voting in the UK makes any difference anymore.

Example: we recently had a local referendum on the construction or not of a waste burning power generation system in our area.

Lots of evidence was given about the toxic output of the technology and the vote went 93% against

Last I heard it IS going to be built :!: :(

My opinion is keep our heads down and keep quiet.
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:35 pm

tell them your a Muslim-----that always works over here --ed

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:17 am

Ever so slightly still on topic, this morning I saw a thread on Pistonheads regarding an e-petition and fuel duty in the UK. (for those on t'other side of the pond, it's us Brits grumbling in our beer about the cost of gas yet again). Apparently the e-petition got it's 100,000 signatures but, in the same democratic vein that Norfolk politicans subscribe to, it's been decided not to bother with the faff of having a debate after all. This is an extract from the reply one guy got after writing in protest to his MP (Jonathan Lord)......

"I understand that the Fair Fuel e-petition on the Government's main website has now reached more than 100,000 signatures. Any e-petition that gathers this support could be debated in the House of Commons. Having made some enquiries, I gather that the House of Common's Backbench Business Committee has reviewed the request but unfortunately there is insufficient time over the next month to have a debate. However, the Committee has not ruled out a debate in the future and I am sure that they are very aware of the importance of this topic."

So, get your signatures and we'll think about having a debate. Maybe. Perhaps. Possibly, if we've nothing better to do, it's raining and the ducks don't need feeding that afternoon......

:roll:
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:24 am

twincamman wrote:tell them your a Muslim-----that always works over here --ed

I'm sure you're right. If Islam had a law against it it wouldn't happen...........

That said, I always steer clear of religious fairy stories, whatever the denomination.

IMO without it the world would be a better place. :wink:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Hi Again Folks

Interesting selection of replies. Dont agree with a number of the points made particularly with regard to rocking the boat--water are pretty choppy at the moment whatever a few classic car enthusiasts do will have little effect on that!

My feeling is that it wont change and that will have little to do with asking or raising the profile of the issue. Classic car restoration, shows, auctions, racing, insurance, magazines, the whole thing is a big source of government revenue in the UK. Right now UK government would not want 2 harm that cash flow.

Legislative and technical changes relating to cars effecting things like fuel, lubrication and coolants mean that to keep our pride and joys going we are constantly having to update and modify key expensive bits and I guess that might hurt our pockets but, in exchequer eyes, is good for the economy, tax revenue and employment. Keeping something going that is 40 years old at the owners expense must surely be greener( and tax revenue desirable for government) than scrapping it every 8 years

I would imagine ( perhaps someone has the figures) that the classic car total numbers, or as a % of vehicles, is in decline anyway. If the limit was changed it would only bring in a few more and there contribution to pollution would be minimal and I suspect reducing each year.

I always though that the reason the concession was given in the first place was that the Late Alan Clark MP who had a magnificent collection of classics sweet talked maggie round to the idea--but I couldnt possibly comment on the truth of that!

I'm voting for it anyway but then Ive got a 1974 car !!

cheers all

Bob
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: kerryblu » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:56 pm

Over here in southern Ireland, we have the 30 year rolling rule.
Also no NCT (MOT) to you,for classic cars.
If you sneeze to loudley, we will catch your cold.

Gerald.

s4 70 dhc oew.
kerryblu
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:28 pm

I have never counted on a Government doing the reasonable or sensible action on any idea ;;and have never been disappointed . The environment Nazis always have the last say and they just love bicycles and hate cars --except when its time for them to to drive to work --organize the car clubs to one voice over there in order to defend your right to own and drive old cars or you will lose it -ed
Last edited by twincamman on Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:30 pm

bob_rich wrote:....Dont agree with a number of the points made particularly with regard to rocking the boat--water are pretty choppy at the moment whatever a few classic car enthusiasts do will have little effect on that!

You may be right, you may be wrong, but I suspect that if a debate is forced by the petition it will draw attention to the current exemption and I'm not convinced that is a good thing.

Even if it was a good idea to try to get the exemption extended to later vehicles, the depths of a deep global recession is not the time to ask

I also think if we pay road tax or not will make little difference to any revenues earned from the other expenses of keeping our cars on the road.

bob_rich wrote:I'm voting for it anyway but then Ive got a 1974 car !!

Which pretty much explains your stance on the matter Bob :)
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:14 am

Fascinating discussion which I'm enjoying even though the specifics don't apply to me here in Canada.

HOWEVER, I am most interested where the discussion has touched on the long-term viability of operating "classic" fossil-fuel cars. If the cars cannot be operated, they will not be nearly so desirable, I would surmise, and the value will drop significantly, making it even harder to justify restoration costs.

Any further thoughts on the short, medium and long term of our hobby??
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:56 am

I thought B.C. WAS absolute in the passing of emissions to get a licence tag. A person I know in your area had a devil of a time with his europa getting passed the annual emissions to the point of a special carb and exhaust that fitted the catalitic converter just for testing . In answer to your question ..I feel the old car hobby will end as soon as the majority of we dinos pass into the old age homes or shuffle off this mortal coil . Kids now a days are more into computer driven off shore cars and dont care about carbs or cams and refuse to get their hands dirty . Those who race from the BRD shop have no clue about anything on the car but the steering wheel its all arrive and drive .They just handle their driver suit .They dont care what makes the car go and the street cars are handled by tuners who ad the demon tweaks and get the cheque written to them . Sadly I feel these cars we value so highly and lavish our time on are doomed to crushing or languishing away in sheds and locked garages abandoned in the near future of 10 to 15 years ..perhaps the odd one may be kept as an oddity but the parts and oils to keep them on the road will be thing of the past --- .ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:26 pm

I especially don't want to shout too loudly as my V12 E Type, which melts one small glacier every 150 miles, was built on 21st December 1972....the last day that Browns lane was working before the Christmas break.

Free tax, by a couple of hours, at 10 mpg. Well, I do pay a bit of tax on the petrol of course!!

I think that the Greenpeace sticker looks good on it though.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:29 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:I especially don't want to shout too loudly as my V12 E Type, which melts one small glacier every 150 miles,
Mark

I can almost hear the Polar Bears wimpering and gasping their last breaths :twisted:

I wouldn't feel too guilty until all the Jumbo jets stop ripping across the sky every few minutes and while Queenie and her pit crew are going on free holidays to Australia :shock: :wink:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:39 pm

Polar bears are the only species of animal that will deliberatly hunt humans as a food source . they make grizzlys look like kitty cats --ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: