Book: Colin Chapman Wayward Genius

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Salut

Chapman.jpg and

This is not a book review - I wouldn't be so pretentious - just a comment:

What a fantastic book !!!

Reading the inside back cover reveals that Mike Lawrence is a genuine writer and that is evident in heaps. His prose has that can't-put-it-down quality combined with a mastery of the English language and sharp humour. I am tempted to seek out his non-Lotus work (maybe not the poems - 'O'-level English Litterature still haunts me).

There are tons of facts skillfully exploited, which means that if Chapman is your god you will probably consider this book profane. Myths are debunked and the real Colin Chapman is exposed for all that he was and all that he wasn't. It's fascinating reading how a mere mortal elevated himself to the heavens.

Recommended (by me ;-).

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:46 pm

Wish the hardcover version wasn't so expensive. But this book is on my 'buy' list for sure.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:36 am

vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:56 pm

elan-archive-f16/good-read-t8553.html

Ten years on!

Interestingly this book (not the first to spill the beans on life at Lotus) was on remainder sale a year, or so, after it came out.

Probably the best two reads about the early days at Lotus are Robin Read's "Colin Chapman's Lotus" and Peter Ross' "Lotus, the early years".
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: