HVR 2014

PostPost by: jimj » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:08 am

If you`re a regular reader, and therefore exist other than in my imagination, you may recall that we belong to something called the HVR. I`d like to think of it as some sort of secret, elitist organisation. Really we`re just a Bunch of Nice Pals but the acronym BNP has already been taken. It actually stands for Happy Valley Ralliers which sounds desperately sad, I know, but it`s really not. It`s lovely. Just a group of like minded, but disparate, people who know each other through old car stuff.
Each year one of us organises a reunion with a night away and a scenic run, lunch and dinner sort of thing. It`s lovely. HVR 2014 was this week based near Whitby and organised impeccably by Rodger and Jenny Vickers. The previous week one of our number suggested another couple with a Healey might be invited. What !!! Setting our astonishment (and dismay) to one side we had to explain that you can`t apply to join the HVR, you can`t be invited to join the HVR, you are either in it or not in it. You`ve either got it or you haven`t got it. A bit like herpes?.but lovely.
Enjoying the best March weather since the Somerset levels were a sensible place to live, some of us met up on Wednesday for a pub lunch en route at the Crown and Cushion (I think) just south of York. The Morgan car club were meeting there, by chance, with about 20 of those old-cars-that-aren`t. I suspect they felt a bit upstaged by Terry and Liz`s 1936 BMW 328. Who wouldn`t? It`s lovely.
We arrived at Raihwaite Hall around 3.30 and met up with the others, marvelled at each other`s good taste, generally congratulated each other on being in the HVR and having a first class honours degree in smug. After cadging a ride in ?Old Smoky? (google it) I removed the debris, flies, and dead birds from my teeth and waited for my adrenalin to subside, then a group of us went for a stroll on the beach. We must have looked like a coach trip of old fogies but that`s OK as, in the last month I became married to a grandmother, yet, strangely, there was no wedding. That`s lovely too.
We had until 6.30 to change into our best bib and tucker, which, in my case, always being in a hurry and being a messy eater was a large bib for tucking. On a previous HVR reunion, in the days when we all lugged video cameras around, Tony had edited together a bit of a film show which was showed again with additional footage supplied by HERO. It did go on a bit but I really enjoyed it. Some of the more cynical suggested it could be successfully marketed, internationally, as a miracle cure for insomnia but I thought the bits with us in it, especially, were great. It was lovely. Maggie and John weren`t in it at all and Maggie was on her third bottle of Pinot by dinner.
A lovely dinner and lively conversation which, as I`ve noted before, didn`t revolve totally around cars. Well, unless you were talking to Alan, or Mike, or Phil, or Richard, or Tony, or????.you get the drift. It was lovely.
After gorging on hotel breakfast, as you do, I noticed that despite wearing a shirt with vertical lines the pattern wasn`t, as it`s supposed to, appear especially slimming. It must be a faulty shirt. We set off, tulip route in navigator`s grasp on a delightful route around the Yorkshire moors. Yorkshire is reputed to be God`s own county but I`ve got a feeling that every other county is described as such by those from that county. The sun was beating down and you won`t be surprised to hear that it was lovely. We had a coffee stop at this famous (can`t remember what it`s called) tea room/farm/shop/ place, a great drive on to lunch in Sutton in the Forest then home, the vertical lines on my shirt looking somewhat convex.
Many thanks to Rodger and Jenny, Alan and Tina have offered to organise HVR 2015 and I`m looking forward to it already. Here`s a tip for them; make sure it`s lovely.
Jim & Carole
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:15 am

Aaah, just.......lovely :mrgreen:
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:26 pm

Jim, pity you hadn't posted up prior to your little jaunt up to Gods country.

Would have been nice to have seen some "lovely" motors. I am sure you wouldn't have been that far away from passing my doorstep on your way up there.

Doug.
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: