England - Things to See

PostPost by: wgrainge » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:25 am

Hi guys,

Anyone have any advice for me? I'm visiting England July 11-25 and was wondering what people would consider a "must see/do" type of thing for a motor enthusiast. I'll be in Norfolk for a few days so will visit Lotus and stop by Sue Miller's. Then heading to London and south to Brighton area. Don't mind going a little out of my way if something looks promising. As far as I can see I don't think much is going on at Goodwood at that time. There is some sort of historic racing at Brands Hatch on July 12/13. I had thought about the Brooklands museum....hard to tell how good it is from a few pictures. I'm sure the country is full of good museums/shows/events that I'm unaware of.

Thanks,

-Will, Elan S4
wgrainge
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:01 am

Car museums I can think of.
Haynes motor museum, Beaulieu (national motor museum). Coventry transport museum (free).
Near to me in Oxfordshire ,Gaydon (mainly Rover BMC etc but couple of Lotus), and also small one in Burford (beautiful village in the Cotswold).
The Mini factory near to me also do pre booked tours. (I was absolutely fascinated seeing modern cars produced).
We obviously have lots of car related places which I am sure others will mention.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:06 am

You need to stay a couple of days longer and go to the Silverstone Classic, 25th-27th July, reputedly the biggest classic car event in the world.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:52 pm

Brooklands is well worth a visit, there's cars, motorcycles, bicycles, aircraft & a lot of motor racing history/memorabilia. Check out the test hill, it's really quite steep at the top, I've ridden my Commando up it when there with the Norton owners club, which made short work of it, but some of the older bikes were struggling towards the top, we also got to ride on some of the remaining banking 8) Mercedes world is next door as well, although I spent so much time at Brooklands, I didn't get time to visit, so can't comment, but others said it was good.
As Clive mentioned, The Haynes collection at Sparkford is also very good, definitely a must if you're anywhere near.
There's not that much motor related I can think of in Norfolk, a few small museums, but nothing outstanding. North Norfolk Railway Vintage transport day at Holt is good, but I'm fairly sure it's July 6th, hopefully nebogipfel & myself will be keeping the Lotus end up there again this year. Caterham cars are now at Hingham, & apparently they do pre arranged tours, I've not been, so again, can't comment.
Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: wgrainge » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I really wish I was staying longer and could attend the Silverstone event.

-Will
wgrainge
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Stratosboy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:31 pm

Will, what about a visit to the McLaren Technology Centre, near Woking, south west of London?
Stratosboy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jbw » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Come a few days earlier and visit the F1 Grand Prix on 4 to 6 July@ Silverstone. John
1973 Elan +2S 130/5 under refurbishment
1957 BSA C12 250cc Motorbike slowly (very) becoming one big bit having been bought as a few boxes of big lumps
jbw
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:30 am

i think there is a breakfast meeting on Sunday mornings at Goodwood and in the past there was always something happening on the track. For Brighton the must is the Royal Pavillion. Check out Club Lotus area meetings, they can be interresting for a chat and a beer in the evening
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:33 am

Portsmouth Dockyard with HMS Victory and the Mary Rose
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:48 am

Not too far off your track...

Cars
Snetterton - Like Norfolk a bit flat!
The Stratton Motor Company - Lotuses and Astons
Brands Hatch - The finest Motor Racing circuit in the country! Wander around for free on a week day, fantastic spectator views at race meetings. only about a 5 minute detour from the M25. If you have disinterested companions they could spend the day playing golf or at Bluewater shopping while you watch a racing.
Brooklands
Delamare Road - Old Lotus factory

Aircraft
The Shuttleworth Collection
Duxford
Farnborough International Air Show
The Mosquito Museum
RAF Hendon

Trains
RH&DR

Other
Cambridge
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:44 pm

If you're going to the Haynes collection, I strongly recommend going to the Fleet Air Arm museum at Yeovilton. It's only a few miles further West. It is excellent, but then again I am biased!

Enjoy your vacation and I hope the weather is kind to you!

Pete
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: