Chassis swop, crazy or not?

PostPost by: elan66 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:44 pm

Hi David,
I think along the lines of Rohan,if i had a b@#y elan :wink: i would want to fit a traditional chassis but painted not galvanized but i would be more than happy with a spyder chassis if already fitted. With a plus2 however i just feel the spyder chassis is a more accepted mod and with the extra size and weight, the extra stiffness of the spyder chassis isnt a bad thing.Anyway my plus2 that i am starting to restore has a really solid spyder chassis and as it uses the original lotus suspension the cost saving of keeping it makes it easier to justify :) If you have a good chassis to start with i would stick with it but once you decide to change the chassis to be original where do then stop with the original theme,poly bushes or OE,CV or rotoflex,2 pack or celly.A lot of people fit CV jointed driveshafts but i think rotoflex are a personality of the car, they probably think i am mad(probably am,oh must be got an elan :) )

Just another thought if you do buy a FHC to build as a track car if you buy one with a decent original style chassis you could just swap them over, the spyder chassis would be good for a track car
Anyway just my thoughts .....but with absolutely NO wisdom
regards
Paul
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:23 pm

as i said my 1972 Bxxx Sprint fhc had it's chassis replaced for a Lotus galvanised 25+ years ago and is still perfect.
imho there is no way any paint treatment can be as good as galvanised. My sprint is proof enough for me.
There is also one thing to consider, if you live like me in France the Spyder chassis was never homologated in France. Therefore not permited
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elan66 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:20 pm

Fair enough Alan,but i would have a painted chassis out of personal choice not because its better,my cars only get dry use,and paint treatments are better these days.I can fully understand why you would have a galvanized chassis,its a lot more sensible for a car used in all weathers.
As for the chassis would the spyder chassis be non compliant in france for sprinting,i didnt think David was talking historic racing
regards
Paul
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:28 am

Paul,
i am saying the Spyder chassis was never homologated in France and i mean for normal use on the road and not on a circuit. If you do any modification on a car in France it is not legal if the modification has not been homologated. In France things are not so easy when you modify or change things from standard.
In the UK things are easier but you need to be careful what you do. That's only my personal opinion :)
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elan66 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:36 am

Hi Alan,
sorry, i understand you now(i said i had no wisdom).I suppose it makes decisions easier in some ways,a pain in others,
many thanks
Paul
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:57 pm

David, I think that you need a project Elan to do! If the Spyder chassis is sound I certainly wouldn't change it. I do prefer originality, but as is said above, the so-called 'Lotus' chassis isn't made by Lotus, and is no more 'original' than the Spyder one. In fact, when Lotus couldn't be bothered to have stock of the chassis at times in the 70s and 80s, it was Spyder who stepped in to help Elan owners out.

I've recently bought a new chassis for my S4, and it's a Spyder chassis but made in the style of the original. Proof that I can't make my mind up.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: djb222 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:25 pm

Mark,

you're right I do need a project but It will have to be post Ultima, to free up garage space.

The chassis on my car appears to be very sound, I believe it was fitted in the late eighties when it was off the road for 5 years or so. I'm not sure if the engine has been worked on but it's unlikely not to have been on a 110k mile original engine. Compression is good on all cylinders 170ish, camshafts are standard. The engine really pulls well but is running a bit rich.

I could ramble on for ages, and I've certainly got loads of questions to ask,over the coming months, I am well and truly smitten.

As for the chassis, I think time will tell. Logic says keep the spyder. The heart? Well the last time I listened to that it resulted in the Elan........Happy days

David
djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:10 pm

When I had the chance, I decided on a TTR 26R chassis. Stiffer in the right places, removable under sump brace, and provision for larger diameter headers for an uprated engine. I purchased it bare but had it powder coated upon arrival. With some work, it will accommodate a Voights 5-speed.

If I had to do it again, I might go with an etch and marine epoxy primer.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: