New mot rule

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:43 am

JonB, did you ever get the vehicle status display https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ViewVehicle to show that your car was MOT exempt, please?

Mine is still showing "MOT No results Returned" after about 17 days. I contacted DVSA but they replied that it was a DVLA problem, but when you play ring-of-roses with the DVLA enquiry website it end up saying I must contact the DVSA !

Arrrggggggh !
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:57 am

Nope, it says "No results returned".

On the other hand, I just bought a new motorcycle and of course needs no MOT for three years. It is showing the same thing on the DVLA site, so I wouldn't worry.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:42 pm

Thanks.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:40 pm

Mine says the same but they still went ahead and taxed it, so it must be in the system somewhere!
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:54 pm

I've been out for a tootle around Barnet, Potters Bar & South Mimms, only about 28 miles all told, just to check that all is OK. First time out since last Sept.

A +12v feed wire came off the fuse strip & the fuel gauge went to zero, I thought the sender had died but later I noticed that the radiator fan and heater/cooler cabin fan were not working either & so I soon found which wire had come off.

Earlier this month I had to clean out the clutch slave & fit new seals, I still seem to have some bubble in the system, but if I pump the clutch pedal it gets firm & seems to stay like that for a day or so. One of the exhaust box rubber straps had broke too, so that was another fix needed.

All this to check the elan so I can have a pre-MOT or Engineers-checkout in the near future. I haven't yet managed to tell my MOT-man that I've managed to make it exempt, so I had asked for a full MOT and I also need to pay him/them for fitting my new tyres to my new alloy wheels and balancing them.

I had delayed doing the clutch slave as the weather was too hot to do it in my front yard, but eventually I thought the heat wave shows no sign of ending so I managed to get the car up on ramps inside the somewhat cramped but cooler garage and removed & later refitted the clutch slave in there.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Pondering the list of new tested items I see "... fluid leaks posing an environmental risk"

I wonder how much of an oil leak constitutes an environmental risk?

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:06 am

Good spot, and I think you are right, Robbie. There is a danger that a leaky Twink would fail on this (mine certainly would!). Head off time soon, then I can fix it.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:13 am

Robbie693 wrote:I wonder how much of an oil leak constitutes an environmental risk?
Robbie

To qualify as a failure, a leak, or multiple leaks, have to leave a puddle over 3 inches diameter in less than 5 minutes with the engine running at idle. Leaking fluids like engine coolant & washer fluid are not included.
Quote from new testers manual
8.4.1 Fluid leaks
You must check for fluid leaks on all vehicles other than Class 3. You should do this with the engine idling.
A leak of fluids such as engine coolant, screen wash and fluid required for Selective Catalyst Reduction aren't reasons for failure. You should fail a vehicle if a fluid leak creates a pool on the floor within 5 minutes that's more than 75mm in diameter or if there are many leaks which collectively leak fluid at the same rate.

My +2 twink is no less leaky than average, probably above average to be fair, & it passed it's MOT last week without even a mention.

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:26 am

Ah - that would be a pretty substantial leak then!

Thanks Tim

The only other point was the brake fluid contamination check, which reminds me I haven't done a change for a while.

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:50 am

I?ve just talked to a friend who is an MOT tester for cars and lorries. His opinion is that putting a historic car in for an MOT is a waste of time as much of it is not applicable.
What he does suggest, and will be doing for my car when it is ready for the road, is an independent engineers inspection, which will test all the safety systems, security of parts following a rebuild and general road worthiness. No point in the emissions part of the test. He will check the brakes are pulling up evenly, lights are aligned, seatbelts secure etc. Which is similar to the MOT, but will check more if you have just done a rebuild, have you missed something, is something loose, is something going to rub or have you fitted or done something they would not recommend or there is a better way of doing it. If it fails an MOT you will not be allowed to drive it away even if the car doesn?t actually need an MOT, if it fails an engineers review, you would be foolish to drive it away, but could, then just fix the problem to your satisfaction and not have to have a retest, and an MOT failure recorded against the car.
What is the situation if a historic car fails an MOT, does it then have to have an annual MOT for ever or just the once to prove it is roadworthy again.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:44 pm

BBB, I think you can just SORN it, wait a week then re-tax and declare it exempt. You still have the responsibility for its road worthiness, though.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:18 pm

Where is it actually written that you will not be allowed to drive the car away if it fails ?

From GOV.UK site,
Driving a vehicle that?s failed

You can take your vehicle away if:

your current MOT certificate is still valid
no ?dangerous? problems were listed in the MOT

Otherwise, you?ll need to get it repaired before you can drive.

If you can take your vehicle away, it must still meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times.

You can be fined up to ?2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle that has failed its MOT because of a ?dangerous? problem.

It's only if the vehicle is deemed to have a 'Dangerous' fault that you are ADVISED that it is unsafe to take back on the road. You would do so in full knowledge the vehicle was dangerous & at your own risk !
An MOT tester has always had the option to declare a vehicle as dangerous, the defect would be noted in box C of the VT30/32 & it would be explained to the owner/presenter that the vehicle was not safe to be driven on the road.

Extract from my old testers manual,
Dangerous Defects

If in the opinion of the NT the vehicle has a dangerous defect this must be recorded In box C of the VT30 or In box C of the VT32 as appropriate.
Dangerous defects must be clearly explained to the vehicle presenter.

These defects should be recorded on the appropriate documentation

If that advice was ignored & said vehicle was caught on the road without the defect having been repaired, the driver would be liable to the same prosecution as now, & since around 2005, that info would have been entered onto the MOT data base which is accessible to the police. Nothing has changed in that respect. To my knowledge, an MOT tester has never had authority to impound your vehicle. I certainly didn't in all the years I was a nominated tester.
Regardless of MOT status, it is the drivers responsibility to ensure a vehicle is in a safe & roadworthy condition. Driving one that is not is an offence, whether it was know about or not.
Quite frankly, if you are told your vehicle is a danger to you &/or other road users & you choose to ignore that..... well, need I say more :D

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:19 pm

I assume the situation is as it was before - you are covered to drive to and from the MOT station with or without a current MOT as long as it is booked in, which includes having just failed the test

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: