Merry Driftmas from Lotus

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:15 pm

Nice Christmas Video from Lotus - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=123&v=MFdix4Bj_5Y

Typical Norfolk weather!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:22 pm

Hey, I saw PPW 306R in there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1MDwVRgoQc
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:19 pm

And it still looks gorgeous!
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Sadly the bullet holes have been filled in.

Good video though
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:00 am

I watched "The Spy Who Loved me" last night, just for fun.

PPW has the black and red/green tartan cloth interior from the looks of it. Very '70s! I had a TR7 like that.

Is that the real car used in filming (maybe there were several?) or just another white Esprit with the PPW number plate attached? I read there was a second car used in the Sardinia chase scene as a camera car, plus five body shells and (of course) Wet Nellie (the Esprit submarine).
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:48 am

JonB wrote:I watched "The Spy Who Loved me" last night, just for fun.

PPW has the black and red/green tartan cloth interior from the looks of it. Very '70s! I had a TR7 like that.

No black, just green on the broad solid-colour areas. And bright orange carpets!

Is that the real car used in filming (maybe there were several?) or just another white Esprit with the PPW number plate attached?

No idea. I thought I read somewhere that it now belongs to somebody in Germany, but that was a few years ago.

{quote]I read there was a second car used in the Sardinia chase scene as a camera car, plus five body shells and (of course) Wet Nellie (the Esprit submarine).[/quote]

This is correct. Two cars had been sent to use for filming, as in any TV or film production you always have more than one in case you break something. The camera-vehicle couldn't keep up with the Esprits so one was converted to carry a camera, with the camera-operator attached by a harness to he outside of the car. I have seen one picture f this, in the documentary feature included in my DVD of TSWLM.

The sub was tricky. The louvers are there to hide the scuba-diver inside who is driving it (his bubbes are visible exiting in a few shots) and the body-shape, being very wedgy, made the thing dive rather severely and it took a fair amount of work to make it maneuverable.

Oh and Roger Becker did a lot of the driving in the chase-scene!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovXO2vpGOpY
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: