what criteria needed for FIA papers/documentation? S2/S3

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:38 am

....................back to regular food, and, that xmas pudding was something else!

HOWEVER - someone here'll know this: my chassis is 4982 BUT got a s3 (36 instead of 26) prefix and was sold way too late-- because it probably got lost/shoved around for about a year - SO which numbers matter, AS the date of manufacture is known and all the previous and many later chassis' had the 26 prefix!! so is mine eligabile for these value added papers??!?!' sandy my car's VN papers (?) state Elan S2 convertible
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:49 pm

the criteria that determine the FIA elligibility and class is essentially the car itself as presented for the scruteneering by the FIA authority representative. I understand everything may be possible as is usually the case in the racing world, though I think the form that would normally fit a 1966 or later coupe is number 527 (as explicitly written p12 of 40) :

https://historicdb.fia.com/sites/defaul ... roup_3.pdf
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:03 pm

fantastic! thanks a lot - i'm actually asking if i could turn mine into an original 26R due to the 26 chassis sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:11 pm

el-saturn wrote:fantastic! thanks a lot - i'm actually asking if i could turn mine into an original 26R due to the 26 chassis sandy

you want to race period F or period G? if the former you'll probably be safer by first asking your local scruteneering guy since he'll have something looking like a bitza to certify (no coupe in period F, that is no type 36...) ... for period G there should not be any difficulty, just complying to the book would do methink...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:05 pm

Sandy

Nicolas' advice is sound. The important date is 31/12/1965 to be in Group F.

Group G (from 01/01/1966) will place your car in a difficult class...difficult as few events or others in the class. This is why Europa's are hardly ever seen in historic racing.

If I were in your shoes, I would look at the potential events that interest you before spending time and money on homologation. Most historic rallies and hill climbs are not fussy about this type of detail. For example, the Historic Monte Carlo Rallye does not stick to the FIA dates, it looks at just pre-1980 models.

The key date (for racing in Group F) is probably the earliest date that Andy Graham (Lotus Archivist) can give you for manufacture and ideally the registration is also a 1965 date. If the former date is a 1965 date, you can probably generate understanding from your local HTP inspector if you have the papers lined up. I would suggest hunting him or she down. They are often lurking in the paddock and are usually amenable to fellow anoraks.
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:09 pm

thanks fellas, what date are you referring to: the 1st immatriculation or the date of manufacture?? sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:17 pm

Sandy,

Ideally it is the registration date.

What do you have ?

Andrew
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: