Pertol Filler problems

PostPost by: pmallinson » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:19 am

Hi

On my +2 the filler cap moves down towards the body when trying to snap it shut and hence the only way to close it properly is to undo the boot and hold the neck up while pressing the cap down. As Yet I have not recieved my manual so can anyone advise if there is supposed to be some form of clamping arangement to stop the filler nech sliding down ?

If do is it special bit ? does anyone have a spare one ?

Peter
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:14 pm

There is no clamp...the cap is held in place by the rubber sealing ring which has a high 'neck' which locates against a flange on the cap mechanism. I guess that you may have the wrong sealing ring or the rubber has rotted?
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:22 pm

Peter
From memory,on mine there is a jubilee clip round the neck of the filler and this fixes to the body via a strap? I think?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:50 pm

Hmmm...maybe there's a difference by type of Plus 2. My '74 130 doesn't have any clips or brackets at all, just the rubber seal as above. Of course the filler cap metal 'tube' fits inside the fuel filler hose and that is secured by a clip.
Just checked the Service Parts List (Feb '69) and that doesn't show any brackets either.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:44 pm

Peter,

Don't think the +2 had any clips or brackets. I agree with previous posts - there are no brackets on mine. The filler kneck rests on the rubber seal in the body and the whole thing is anchored by the rubber filler elbow which is attached to both the kneck and the tank by large jubilee clips.

Check all are in good nick and any clips are tight. If you still have a problem, post again.

Regards,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:36 am

Well thanks for all your advice, it would appear that the rubber is either missing or badly perished then !! I cannot check it because I'm overseas at present but I'm willing to accept that this is the problem.
Next comes the question are they still avaialble ( I have looked though p.Matty parts list and cannot see ?) or does anyone have a serviceable item they would sell me ?

Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:12 am

They are in the catalogue...section J 'Grommet, fuel filler neck' about ?8. You had me worried then!
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:46 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:They are in the catalogue...section J 'Grommet, fuel filler neck' about ?8. You had me worried then!
Mark

Thanks a million I have just ordered 1

Peter
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:18 pm

Well you got me going now,so,just been out into the cold and removed the rear of the boot and there is (on mine) a bracket screwed to the sidewall behind the filler tube and a jubilee clip just for the purpose of holding the filler tube.
If it's not original(if anyone gives a toss) it's a good idea....
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dave-M » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:39 pm

John, The backet you found is a lotus mod. Details should be in your workshop manual. The purpose is to stop gel cracking around the filler neck by securing the cap to the internal bodywork and prevent flexing while filling up
Regards
Dave
Dave-M
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:04 pm

Which seems to answer the original question.....
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: