New just got my first Lotus

PostPost by: gsminors » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:09 am

Hi,
I have just purchased my first 1969 Lotus Elan +2. I had to sell one of my restored MGB's to get this one. I should be picking the car up in about a week and start to enjoy the experience of ownership. The elan needs very little work and is good to go, all it really needs is a good re spray. I own a machine shop and we make alot of custom car parts mainly for British cars. I am used to restoring cars and rebuilding them from the ground up so this will be nice not having to do a total restoration. Please share any experience of ownership with any is their any thing I should be beaware of.
Thanks
Geoff Minors
1969 Lotus Elan +2
1972 MGB (being restored)
1981 Fiat X19
1973 Norton 850 Commando
gsminors
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:44 am

if its well sorted you will have fun fun fun --mine came in boxes and I'm hoping I have built some reliability into it ----the cars are fairly robust mechanically --but quirky--- and dont hit any thing solid :shock: ed----61 bug eye ----BRD formula vee---64 26R-- and a super7
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:42 am

Taking into consideration the overly complex and now old wiring in +2's, I highly recommend some "easy do" disconnect on the battery. I disconnect mine every time I park the car for more than a day, it's a little turning wheel attached to the cable clamp. Any decent parts store has this item.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:15 am

I use very similar only its a battery cut off with the big red 'key'.......
located in the bulk head behind the dash......easy to get at when youre in the car even though its completely hidden (ie very difficult to steal....!!!)
cheers
G
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:39 pm

First things first, check the sill members - steel tubes running inside the fibreglass sills. Visible check through the jacking holes in the sills - poke about with a screwdriver for rust. Ironic that one of the first things to check is for rust! These members are vital for seatbelt mountings and side impact protection but are often overlooked. Mine were a pile of rust at the bottom of the cavity. Previous Owner should have some documentation of replacement etc.

Longer term, use the car and change the oil(s) regularly and on time!

Jeremy

PS don't forget the trunnions...
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:14 am

Jeremy
I know what you mean about the inner sills.......definately for the seat belt mount points and for the jacking points, but as for side impact protection I seriosly doubt theyd do anything at all...plus the fact that todays cars have their bumpers about mid height on the +2's doors so they'll be on your lap before the wheels collect the sill and squish you.....
just a personal opinion but I still drive mine!!!!
I wouldnt fancy my chances in a side impact over 30mph with or without the sills......I saw what the lady doing about 20mph did to my nose!!!!
again all personal I know.....
cheers
G
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:10 am

Hi, and great to have you aboard!

I had one of the red key things up behind the dash of my last +2. Very handy, and apart from the theft angle, I could always be confident of would not be getting back into a car with a flat battery.

I also have a supposedly rebuilt +2. Please see my posts about mt head gasket!

Lotuses are great cars. I had an MG for 13 years before the Lotus and still go driving in North Wales with the MG crew (in my Lotus!). The +2 is so much more advanced than the MGB/C. A friend has a sebring replica with a full IRS and K series engine. That is quite a car.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:05 am

Pedal box area can be a concern. Make sure there are no fiberglass cracks or excessive play in the brake pedal. How does the frame look? Concerning sills, I'm with theelanman, especially here in SUVAmerica. Side impact ? aye yi yi...
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gsminors » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:19 am

When I am in my office I will post a list of all the mods been done to it. BTW I am a Brit living in Canada for the last 8 years before then I was living in Stroud Glos. I would be interested in hearing from any body here in Alberta who has a lotus.
Geoff Minors
1969 Lotus Elan +2
1981 Fiat X19
1973 Norton 850 Commando
gsminors
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gsminors » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:56 pm

These are the mods made on the Elan +2
Rebuilt engine, custom forged pistons 10.25:1 compression, formula ford crank with longer strock, balanced and blueprinted, 1670cc, new valve guides timing chain and sprockets etc. new super starter, alternator, heavy duty clutch, new rotors, new shocks, rear drive conversion to CV joints, new header and exhaust system, rebuiltr transmission, rebuilt rear end, re cored radiator. Plus other stuff. What the Elan realy needs is a good respray. Other than that she is pretty tidy.
Geoff Minors
1969 Lotus Elan +2
1981 Fiat X19
1973 Norton 850 Commando
gsminors
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:38 am

...on my monitor it reads like you've got a great car, let us know what happens in 3D with ignition and propulsion once you really buy it and drive it.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: