Capiliary tube

PostPost by: Jonty5speed » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:02 am

Does anyone know exactly where the capiliary tube for the ambient temperature gauge would have been mounted when the cars left the factory? Mine is currently resting in a pool of sludge (which used to be an air filter housing) inside the nose, however it does still appear to register slight changes in sludge temperature. :)

Thanks

Jon
1972 Red Plus 2 S130/5
Jonty5speed
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:56 pm

removed and replace mine recently...
there was a simple bolt on bracked that held the bulb on the radiator support below the air intake ducting. Not sure whether it is the perfect position.
Cheers
Tim
PS I think I have a spare bracket if you want one
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sk178ta » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:40 pm

Yes it should be fastened with a P clip to the bodywork ahead of the radiator, under the air filter, where sludge shouldn`t collect !! At the lowest point, or in your case the deepest sludge point, there is a drain hole which blocks easily. It also unblocks easily thereby adding lightness by reducing balast in the bilges !
Jim
sk178ta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:38 pm

Perhaps the sludge is a design feature to damp the measurement - to avoid rapid temperature fluctuations.. :lol:

Has anyone tried an electronic sensor in place of the mechanical arrangement? The gas filled bulb on my one failed, and the replacement guage that I've found is not in as good a condition as my original.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:27 am

Jon

On my 73 plus 2 the sensor bulb is mounted in strip of metal formed into a loop and screwed to the front of the air filter housing just behind the grill. I am sure Lotus will have used various locations depending on the mood of the assembler on the day

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jonty5speed » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:42 pm

Thanks everyone, sludge has been removed, drain hole unblocked and sensor mounted in the nose.

Tim, thanks for the offer but I've managed to cobble one up out of some odds and sods.

Cheers

Jon
1972 Red Plus 2 S130/5
Jonty5speed
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: