Elan v Plus 2

PostPost by: Matt7c » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:01 pm

Er...I've never posted (or even looked at) the Plus 2 page before. But I am here now, and want to ask about the Plus 2 when compared to an Elan. I have a 1965 Elan S2, but am finding it hard to fit it into my life as a 3rd car as it always means excluding family members. And the Management is giving me a hard time about cash etc.

I am working through a train of thought that goes along the lines of selling the Elan and another car and cutting down to 2 motors, one of them being a Plus 2. The logic is that I can fit in the whole family (my kids are small) and therefore incorporate classic Lotus driving into the routine of life.

Will I be disappointed with a Plus 2 or is it just as exciting to drive as an Elan (or better)? Am I going mad? Does anybody want to buy an Elan?...
1965 Elan S2
Matt7c
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:16 pm

Matt7c wrote:The logic is that I can fit in the whole family (my kids are small)

Unless you've been tweaking a few genes they will grow up and not fit in the +2. Meaning at some stage you might be forced by SWMBO to buy some sensible transport ........like a people carrier :shock:

Keeping the "+0" means more space in the garage for the kids bikes. Running a more sensible four seat car means work and pleasure are nicely separated.

We're lucky that the kids can easily walk to school and so despite having five 2 seat cars (only 3 or 4 on the road) we cope for most of the time. For the odd occasions that we travel together we slum it in a Polo although it's now getting a bit cramped :(
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:55 pm

I say make the most of the children being small while it lasts !!

Keep the Elan for 2-seater trips and get a +2 for family motoring - they are relatively cheap, they can do some of the things Elans do, and you will only need the one set of spares as they share most mechanical parts.

That's what I've done...

When the children are too big for the +2, then think about it again...
You're unlikely to lose any money on the +2 IF you get a good one... :wink:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:15 am

No, you're not going mad. Yes, the +2 can be as exciting as the S2, BUT, empty it weighs a third more than your S2 and has the same engine. Add your tolerant wife, two children and necessities, with that same engine, don't expect a lot of straight line performance, but you can still scare the &#!+ out of all three of 'em if you want to around corners ... what I'm getting at, is, it's as exciting and sometimes more so than the smaller Elan when you're out carousing and heel toeing through those favorite windy roads, alone... unless your wife has nerves of steel.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chicagojeff » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:59 am

I dont know...for me the plus 2 is a little like a lot of +2 versions of cars (280Z, Jag, etc.). The lines kinda don't do it for me the way they do in a regular Elan. Now, they are definitely a lot cheaper, so that makes them still cool, but in reality, like some others have said, the kids wont be small enough to sit back there for long. I would just forget it, and keep your S2. Get something at least palatable for the family hauler and you'll feel better.
67 S3 DHC
chicagojeff
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: thor » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:38 am

I took a +2S130 to Norway last year, and even with the classic car import status of the vehicle, limited mileage insurance etc., the term 2+2 does not exist anymore in terms of registration.
Which means no allowance for kids in the back, except illegally, so when they come in a year or two I'm stuffed..

But I don' really give a monkey's, as I've always wanted a +2S. I actually think the lines are better than on the Elan, and at 6'2 I wouldn't fit in one comfortably anyway...

:-)
Thor Svaboe
1973 +2S130/5 white/silver

http://thorsvaboe.googlepages.com
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:35 pm

Matt, For what it's worth and with apologies to all +2 owners, I've had five Elans and one +2S130 and would always go for an Elan (S4 or Sprint for me)

The +2 is a good car but it's not half as good as an Elan.

I agree about the rear seats, they are really only useful for a very short time with growing sprogs.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:46 pm

I'm in a similar position. I don't want to sell my Sprint BUT there's now my lad to consider (Aged 2.5). If I had an additional Lotus, it would make it easier for me to persuade 'er indoors to come to more Car events as "we could go as a family". Given that I have a one-car garage, any additional car would have to replace my VW Golf. So the question now becomes....

Elan + 2 OR Excel ?

+2.....cheaper, I know more about Elans, Looks better, not too wide.
Excel...More reliable due to Toyota bits....better safety cell.

Opinions welcome !!
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: simonriley11 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:03 pm

I am lucky enough to own a standard Sprint DHC and a Plus 2S 130/5 and have done many everyday miles over many years in both. The Sprint is quicker and is more fun but IMHO the Plus 2 handles better (it's less twitchy at the limit), has a better ride, is more relaxing on longer runs, and is easier to use every day. Looks are a matter of personal taste, I happen to like them both. A good Plus 2 should not disappoint an Elan owner, it's just a bit different that's all.
simonriley11
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:11 pm

If I had wife and kids on board I wouldn't have as much fast fun as being on my own...the mortality and responsibility multiplyer effect. So from that point of view I'd stick to the S2. The Plus 2 feels a little less nervous than the Elan due I guess to additional weight and wheel spread, but the Elan has a more go-kart feel...especially with a quick rack or smaller steering wheel. They both go round bends like Harpic, with the Plus 2 having a little more roll, but probably better ultimate grip

The looks are for each to decide...for me the Elan Coupe is the best overall styling balance, not quite upto a Type 14 Elite standard but not far off. The convertible is a cheeky chapie, and the Plus 2 is very elegant.

They both make the same noises, have the same standard :cry: of finish and cost the same to restore, with perhaps the Plus 2 costing a tad more due to extra upholstery, guages etc. Good cars are not too different in price...but there's an awful lot of neglected Plus 2s out there.

Which is more fun for me? Well I've had my S3 since I was a teenager...well back in the last century...and love it to bits. A recent acquistion is an early Plus 2 with a BDA engine fitted in 1970....a bit faster than the S3 and at 8500rpm and a free flow exhaust very exciting. If I could only keep one car it would have to be the S3, but the Plus 2 in standard or modified form is pretty much as good. Ask Paul Matty....it's the Plus 2 for him every time.

I have a couple of Plus 2s for you to choose as a part-ex on your S2 Matt
:roll:
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:14 pm

Personally I prefer the looks of the +2, and it seems to depend on who you talk to as to which is better overall. I've always thought they were both great, actually, and don't like seeing claims that one is better than the other.

The smaller elan is compact for someone of my size, but I'm planning to get one to accompany the plus 2 in the future anyway. I'm not sure, at the moment, that I'd feel comfortable putting my 2 year old into the back of the +2. I'd rather get a second one and have baby seats in the passenger seats. It's a good excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:17 pm

Ive owned two +2's so I am a bit biased. First one at twenty one when the car was six years old, went mad in that car for two years fantastic fun. Sold it when I was not thinking straight and vowed to get another one.......15 years later got another 72 +2. Then came the kids, I have three, one set of twins. They had been bugging me for 18 months to take them to school in Daddy's Lotus. Difficult to eplain to six year olds that the suspension is knackered and so it the engine. But September last year got the old girl back on the road, and I had forgotten what fun it was, my kids have always got massive smiles on their faces when they are in the car, they really are the "bees knees"
However I am getting greif again from them because I cant get my diff shafts out to fix the oil leak.....( see posts ) such is the fun of owning a Lotus!
Plus two for me, fun and carries the kids!
Jeff
72+2
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:49 am

there seems to be a growing trend that people who own elans dont take their family or friends in it!!!.........I love my elan and my +2 and agree with the staright line speed thing but having said that my friend following me in an S2 elise was suprised that I could blow him away in the +2...think it was the corners.....IMHO its better round the corners...but its not very good at taking 4..........2 adults + 2 children its no problem...get em past about the age of 10 and they dont fit in the back(the kids that is)!!!!!
I'd still have one (+2) especially the early version as its lighter......it all depends on what you want and how old your kids are.......
if youve got teenagers buy an elan for you and the wife and sod the kids coz theyll only want it when youve gone and theyll argue...if youve got youngens then a +2.......until theyre 10 ish...then but another lotus to tide you over until youre back to you and the wife....
so in summary...
elan
elan+2
excel
elan
unless youve got the where with all to keep em all....
thats my plan!!!!
Ive bought em...I'm keepin em!!!!!
cheers
G
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:00 am

I ditto elanman, my +2 is a total sleeper, performancewise, pricewise, and appearancewise (it's not one of those high suspension versions.) The handling is exactly what one would expect from a small Elan with longer arms and legs. The +2 is entitled to the name Elan +2 in my Lotus thrashing opinion.

Excel's, At what? ... not performance, cornering or appearance.

I think Lotus jumped from our Elans to the Elise when it comes to Colin's criteria. (I also think the Esprit is a heckuvacar but different catagory.) Bring on that new Europa!
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:47 am

On the point of not taking family and friends out in our Elans. I agree I have a lot more fun in my S4 when I am on my own at a track day. However my wife is not only an excellent navigator but stupidly brave, she does not scream if I exit a corner sideways only if I enter a corner sideways :shock:

The good thing is that she can not drive the Elan so I get it all to my self. She used to take the Porsche 911 out all the time. :(

My S4 is midly tweeked and surprises many other road users when they find it accelerates better than expected and they can not keep up with me along the twisty bits. Last summer I had some chap throw his BMW in a ditch trying to keep up 8) He could just not understand how a 36 year old Elan could go round a corner way faster than the "Ultimate driving machine".
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: