Elan v Plus 2

PostPost by: M100 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:02 am

1964 S1 wrote:Bring on that new Europa!

I think I'll pass on that one, it's the ideal car for Stevie Wonder though.
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:42 am

Completely agree there I'm afraid.. To my eyes the new Europa looks like a cosmetically enhanced MR2 with a hard top, and with some very strange and unneccessary detailing thrown in, specially on the back.. :(

But all personal tastes differ of course..
Thor Svaboe
1973 +2S130/5 white/silver

http://thorsvaboe.googlepages.com
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:12 am

Ok I admit I was speaking from photographs only on the Europa, apparently the only view we'll get here in the Uisolated States of America. Is it UGLY in real life? but still, it'll drive like a ...

Also, gotta say the BM w comments are refreshing. I could never figure out why that ultimate driving machine had to be so overweight.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:47 am

My view is actually also based on photos, I might find it gorgeous in reality.....but from what I've seen I'm not happy.

The new Esprit sketches on the other hand looks to become a BEAUTIFUL car. ..
Thor Svaboe
1973 +2S130/5 white/silver

http://thorsvaboe.googlepages.com
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Matt7c » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:14 pm

Thanks for all the feedback fellas. The consensus on the +2 seems to be that it can be good fun to drive alone (which will be most of the time on the daily commute) but that its performance suffers when the whole family is aboard. However, as mostly we drive more sensibly with the family aboard, the loss in performance may not be a significant factor. I think I need to move to the next stage and have a try in one. I see the only one Paul Matty has in stock is an ?18k beauty, but I'm not looking in that price range! (And who wants a brown car?) Thank again.
Matt
1965 Elan S2
Matt7c
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tonycharente » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:24 pm

Now about the people-carrier Excel...

I've had most models of Lotus over the years, including 3 Elans and an +2S130/5. I am lucky enough to currently have an S4SE, a "kitted" S1 Elise and..... a late model Excel SE.

It goes without saying that the Elan and the Elise are much more FUN to drive than the Excel, BUT Excels handle superbly, accelerate pretty well by most standards, will go much faster in a straight line AND will squeeze real people in the back and real shopping in the boot. And oh yes, Excels truly are VERY reliable - enough to be used daily. The looks are a matter of taste, of course, but the later models have nice little flairs over the wings that help things. In all they are a delight to drive and of course, they are TOTALLY UNDERVALUED.

So my suggestion is to KEEP the S2, as you'll always regret selling it otherwise, and BUY A LATE EXCEL SE as your daily driver. (And no, mine's not for sale...)
Cheers
Tony
1969 Elan FHC S4 SE
tonycharente
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:36 am

As a guy who's never driven an Excel, but just read up on that Type 89 a bit after these endorsements, (the frame looks very familiar).... I'd say, put it ahead of a (my beloved) +2 for hauling the family. The safety factor would outweigh the fun factor enough if I was hauling children, plus, you can still use the Excel after the offspring are over ten years old. What about straight line speeds??? Is it quick?
And finally, don't sell the S2.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonycharente » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:24 pm

1964 S1 wrote:As a guy who's never driven an Excel, but just read up on that Type 89 a bit after these endorsements, (the frame looks very familiar).... I'd say, put it ahead of a (my beloved) +2 for hauling the family. The safety factor would outweigh the fun factor enough if I was hauling children, plus, you can still use the Excel after the offspring are over ten years old. What about straight line speeds??? Is it quick?
And finally, don't sell the S2.

Well, Lotus claimed 0-60 mph in 6.8 secs and 135 mph, but the Autocar road test only managed 0-60 mph in 6.8 secs and 134 mph. Rumour has it that Lotus stuck the bigger spoiler on the Excel SE to keep it slower than the more expensive N/A Esprit - which had 20 bhp less...

Tony
1969 Elan FHC S4 SE
tonycharente
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: