chassis & engine number

PostPost by: antoaji » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:30 am

can anyone help me find the chassis and engine number of 1969 lotus elan +2? Thanks so much for the help!
antoaji
New-tral

PostPost by: carrierdave » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:44 am

Hi there,
You should have a plate located on the right hand side of the car, when viewed from the front, on the inner wheel arch under the bonnet.

This will give you the chassis number and engine number. If this is missing then you will need to look at the block for the engine number. From memory, under the exhasut manifold, between the block and the head there is a small amount of casting that sticks out, on here is stamped the engine number.

I do not believe there is anywhere else that the chassis numver is located, although I did find mine written on the inside of several body panels (boot, doors etc..)

One thing to bear in mide is that the engine block may not be original therefore they may not relate to each other.

Good luck

David
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ngs » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:31 am

Hi.

On my car's engine, the serial number is stamped on the horizontal surface just above the mount on the inlet side.

My car has a replacement chassis, so no number, but I have seen them stamped on the chassis just aft of the exhaust side engine mount.

Like Dave's car, the chassis number on my car was also on some hand written labels inside each door and on a Dymo label in the engine bay above the pedal box.

Nigel
ngs
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Brian » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:30 pm

Please could somebody tell me what the correct body badges should be on a +2 of this era mainly the "World Championship" badge. Should it include the 1970 W/C?
Many thanks
Brian
Brian
New-tral

PostPost by: carrierdave » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:42 pm

My car is a 1969 built, 1970 registered +2 .The badge on the back drivers side should be "world champion car constructors 1963 1965 1968".

On the opposite rear panel is the "S" and on the front near side is the "Elan +2"

Hope this helps

David
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Brian » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:09 pm

Thank you David for the info. I assume the o/s front wing carries the same years? Another query my chassis plate carries the no. 5036 and is mounted on the o/s wheelarch, some thing lost in the translation from the green log book I wonder????
Once again many thanks
Brian
Brian
New-tral

PostPost by: carrierdave » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:36 pm

Hi Brian,
My car has no badges on the front off side wing, only the Elan +2 on the near side.
Not sure about the chassis number - the early ones started 50/0000 and in about 72/73 they changed them over you a different numbering system altogether. Are you sure its a 5 and not a 2?
My own engine/chassis plate was located on the near side wheel arch just to the side of the servo. It was only screwed on so anyone could move it.

regards

David
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: johns » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:10 pm

I believe they changed from the small badge on the rear o/s to the longer "Elan +2" style badge on the front o/s at the end of 1970 when Lotus won the world championship for that year and trying to squeeze four championships into the small badge was too much and they were planning for 5, 6, 7 .......

Is Paul Matty the only source for the replacement "3 championship" sticker to go inside the chrome surround. Some miserable so and so has seen fit to take mine :cry:
johns
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Brian » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:59 am

Sue Miller,wife of the late Mick Miller, also stocks the range of these badges.
Brian
Brian
New-tral

Total Online: