Is this ok?

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:53 am

Just fitted a new front brake caliper to my S130 only to find I had ordered the wrong one. I had expected (from the info in the Robinshaw - Ross book) that my car had the metric Calipers but it seems not. When I screwed in the pipe union it stripped, so I went to get another made up and was told it was imperial thread.

So I had an Imperial one end and Metric the other fitting made and put it back together.

Question is, are the calipers exactly the same apart from the pipe union threads? They do look so, both have 16PB stamped on them.

Cheers

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:47 pm

Hi Robbie,
The P16 and 16PB caliper both had imperial threads. Its possible to screw an imperial pipe nut into a metric fitting but not the other way around.
Are you sure the other side is metric?
Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:25 am

I know there are 3-variations of these calipers.

The believe 16P and 16PB have imperial fittings and use the same pads as they have the same diameter retaining pins.

The 16PB(M?) metric has metric fittings and uses different pads due to larger diameter retaining pins.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:26 pm

Yep, there are three versions as I found out when I fitted +2 front brakes to my Sprint; I went for the middle version which I think were slightly larger than the original but Imperial rather than metric. Talk to Classicar Automotive, they know all about this stuff. Also the guys at Rimmer Bros are extremely knowledgeable about these Triumph-sourced parts, I seem to remember that the GT6 was the source car.

Cheers,
Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:43 am

Thanks guys,

Seems I have a bit of an odd one then. It's definately a metric caliper as that's what I ordered from Classicar, but it's externally the same as the one on the other side and has the same pads/retaining pins. Just that the pipe fittings are imperial on the car.

Seems to be ok anyway, no leaks or anything. Now if I could just get the bloody air out of it.....
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:04 pm

All, according to Trevor Sparrow's site, http://www.geocities.com/trevorsparrow/ ... part_2.htm front brakes had metric piping from May 1972. My, nominally 1969, mongrel has been fitted with metric front calipers with 3/16" retaining pins at some time. When I first checked the brakes, not only did i find 3/8" nipples - which actually held - but also the incorrect pads designed for the earlier calipers with 1/4" pins.

best regards, iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: