Couple of quick daft questions

PostPost by: kenny » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:24 am

I've decided to have a break from the wiring loom job for a week or 2, as I'm at a stage with it now where I need to get someone round to sort my relay problems, job is 95% done but I'm stumped on one issue.

Anyway I've decided to trial fit my steering column, new large Cortina binicle and fit handbrake umbrella and sort out steering in general. Problems I face is that I've never seen it complete as car came in box of bits as I've said before. (didn't realise when I bought it what a disadvantage this would be :cry: )

I have a new main steering bracket now (thanks Dave) as my old one was a left hand drive item (fitted by the factory) and as such will have to drill new holes to fit it, and line it up through cutout on dash.

Questions are.......Do the two handbrake brackets pick up on existing holes? ie one on the pedal box and one on the steering mount
Also a guy on Ebay is selling solid steering joints ie a UJ as opposed to the rubbers. Mine could do with a new one. Any comments about these please for the Elan. Seller also states they are 4mm longer than normal, I can't see this being an issue but I'm asking the question and stand to be corrected.

Many thanks,

Kenny
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: schroeder » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:07 am

Kenny

I can offer no specific help on column moutings as mine is a later and hence differnt type.

But

I would highly recommend you buy an original parts list. In addition to part numbers, quantities etc they provide blow up pictures of most parts of the car. Very useful if you have never seen the parts together.

Good Luck

Stu
schroeder
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:45 am

Thanks Stu, a couple of lads have suggested this too. I do think it's an excellent idea but I've struggled to find one yet.

Kenny
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:33 pm

Kenny, my early car has the handbrake mounted off the pedal box in two places.
Cheers , Brian.
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:33 pm

Kenny, my early car has the handbrake mounted off the pedal box in two places.
Cheers , Brian.
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:41 pm

Have a couple of photo's of the arrangement , but they are apparently too big to fit on here! P.M. your e-mail address and I'll send them to you.
Brian.
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:26 pm

Cheers Brian

Kenny
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:05 am

Hi Kenny, I don't know if he's still posting but IIRC Sean Murray has made some improvements to the rigidity of his +2 steering column/assembly.

If you search the Forum for "Sean Murray", you may also come across a LHD to RHD conversion thread which may help.

I'm afraid I can't help much more as:
a) I don't have a +2
b) I'm a mechanical numpty

...but I am v. bored at work hence this post !
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: