+2 tank clearance

PostPost by: rdssdi » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:58 pm

I am having a custom alloy fuel tank made for my +2. I have decided to use Mocal breather vent valves. As these are horizontal mount only, I need to determine the average clearance at the top of the tank. It may be the tank height will need to be lowered slightly to allow the installation.

The "parcel shelf" and speakers are above the tank. Would several people please respond with a measurement of the distance between the tank to at the breathers and the bottom of the shelf and if posssible include a photo?

It appears that using these breather vent valves should keep the vent closed to the atmosphere wheen the taank pressure (- or +) is outside vent valve purge pressure. As the valves also discriminate for liquid the vent line can now run over the top of the tank and out the origial location. Avoiding the long "over the roof" vent hoses.

I would appreciate all advice and further discussion of this. Thank you.

Bob
1969 Elan +2
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:14 am

Set the tank in my totally apart car and looks to be about an inch between top of tank and top of shock towers which parcel shelf sits on (my jute pading is out so may sit up a little higher). Also, mine has that extra tube shaped recovery tank with a 90 degree curved thin pipe coming out of top of main tank that feeds to round recovery tank and it sticks about 7/8 inch above tank--seems basically there is little if any wiggle room! Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:46 pm

As I have found. I do not have the shelf installed and was uncertain of its final location. The little clearance leaves little choice but to reduce the tank height by an inch or so.

I hope these new breather vent valves make for an "odor free" interior and garage.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: