rough value of my jps+2

PostPost by: stamfordbrad » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:16 pm

Hey,

I have a 73 jps 130+2s. Mechanically sound as replaced everything to do with brakes, water pump, timing, head gasket, valves. Chasis fine, replaced doughnuts. Got a small crack in drivers front wing and grazing down psngr side so will need body spraying. Roof redone. Done 92,000. Only 2 owner. All my bills. Anybody give me a rough idea? I know its hard. Interior is perfect and completely original.
Also any idea of how much a paint job should roughly cost me?

Thanks
Brad
stamfordbrad
New-tral

PostPost by: v7slr » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:57 pm

Paul Matty has a mint +2 in at the mo for ?16,950. I kid you not..!! Expensive but really really mint. I'd say that must be the ultimate price for an original.
Last edited by v7slr on Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
v7slr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: v7slr » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:58 pm

Ought to point out that it's a 130s with 5-speed box. Not a JPS.
v7slr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stamfordbrad » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:26 pm

Cheers. Mine is a 130s 5 speed.

I saw that car.....wonder if it means +2s are going up and finally getting respect they deserve.
stamfordbrad
New-tral

PostPost by: v7slr » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:38 pm

I sort of hope so. I mean it's in my favour if they are all knackered as I want a Spyder variant, but in my heart I hope they are looked after.

Matty has a beautiful Elite in his showroom but get this... ?37,500. Who would have thought? Another beautiful classic.
v7slr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:02 pm

Hi Brad,
This is a difficult one but I'll be honest. The Paul Matty car is a 1974 S130 4-speed painstakingly rebuilt by Peter Day to as close to original as possible - he even used the +2 carpet and trim materials which he bought from Lotus when the cars went out of production. That restoration cost the owner ?26,000 and 7k miles later a top dealer is asking ?16,950.
Assuming your car has its original chassis and bearing in mind it needs a repaint, that would turn the big money away. If it is one of the 86 JPS models built to commemorate Lotus' 50th GP win at Barcelona in 1973 (Ronnie Peterson won, April 29th) then that could make it more attractive but ?3.5k-?4k is a good guide price. My yellow S130/5 had a new galvanised chassis, sill members, rebuilt engine, (ok) repaint and 6 months tax & MOT and cost in that range.
Repaints can range from a few hundred to ?8,000 and price doesn't necessarily reflect the quality. Preparation is very time consuming and if a body shell has a lot of starring and cracking to repair the price increases alarmingly. Mick Miller used to dry his cars out in a humidity controlled environment for weeks before painting. I'm sure you'd get a decent job that will last with all fittings removed for ?3,000 not including the roof.
and that's the problem with our beloved cars - because the market values are incomprehensibly low, the big money spent on chassis changes, repaints and engine rebuilds etc must be a labour of love as it can often far exceed the end value of the car.
Best wishes,
Simon
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:44 pm

Hi There

I would say that Simon is in the right ballpark. I Have an original JPS plus with a rebuilt engine and 5 speed box. The interior is good, and it is up in the air awaiting the galvanised replacement chassis to be built up. It is probably worth 3K right now if I am lucky. And that is with the replacement (secondhand) chassis. The engine and gearbox will be most of that. In fact I might end up breaking it as I have just bought another running plus 2.

If your chassis is original it almosy certainly will need replacing very soon. I also have a 26,000 mile 1968 plus 2, and whan I took the seemingly sound chassis and had it shotblasted ahead of painting it turned out to have cracks in it (turret bases). I went at it with a screwdriver before sending it away and detected nothing. Dirt hides a lot, and a good shotblasting certainly lays it bare!

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stamfordbrad » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:31 pm

Guys thanks alot for your help. It is a real JPS but some so and so stole my jps badge from drivers wing.

Cheers fella.....decission time for me now.
stamfordbrad
New-tral

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:54 pm

Hi Brad,
If that's the gold badge that says:
'LIMITED EDITION TO COMMEMORATE FIRST 50 LOTUS GRAND PRIX WINS'
then you can replace it - Paul Matty might still have some in stock (they did at Donington).

Best of luck,
Simon
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stamfordbrad » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:57 pm

DID THEY ? CHEERS MATE......I CALLED THEM WHEN I WAS STOLEN AND THEY DIDNT HAVE ANY....WILL TRY AGAIN . CHEERS
stamfordbrad
New-tral

Total Online: