Lotus at Nurburgring

PostPost by: andyhodg » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:25 pm

I am considering taking my '69 + 2 to the Nurburgring next year. Has anyone taken their Elan there and have you got any hints, tips or good advice?

Many Thanks
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:30 pm

Have not yet taken the Elan but have taken a number of other cars round the ring.

Tips:

1) Take the ring taxi (you will need a change of underpants :shock: )

2) The track is 13 miles long with lots of corners and very little run off. Do not try to set the fastest lap, just go for a cruise round. This way you do not get a close look at the armco 8)

3) Make sure the track is open to the public on the day(s) you want to go. It is often closed for private testing. Damn long way to drive if the track is shut.

4) Spa is not far away from the Ring try and do both over a long weekend 8)
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:20 pm

Sorry about wandering off topic... Hey Steve, can Eau Rouge be taken flatout in an Elan?
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:52 pm

I can not do Eau Rouge flat out in an Elan and I have not seen anyone else manage it. I have raced there about 5 times and the best I have managed is a lift at about the 100 metre board and then gently feed the power back in as you go up the hill, on the power to hard and you are straight over the kerb at Radillon, Did try Blanchemont flat once, it twitched in the middle of the corner and shot straight over the kerb and onto the runoff which luckily had been changed from gravel to tarmac.
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:31 pm

I did a trackday at Spa this year with my brother in his TVR. I havn't had so much fun in years, well worth the money. I would like to take the +2 but not mixing it with the likes of GT3 RSR, GT40 and the Murcilago that races in the LMES! Quite spectacular when that went past with flames coming out of the exhaust.
A trackday organised for Elans and the like might make for a more relaxed day and be less intimidating for people driving 30+ year old cars.
Anyone interested?
By the way, Sabine from the Nordshcleiffe was there. She said the most important thing for a woman taking her car round there was a good sportsbra!
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:26 pm

Thanks Batfish and Chris for the responses. Hard to judge the real forces from the telly. :mrgreen: I'm green with envy! This sucks not living near the center of the racing universe.
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:29 am

Kieth ---the center of the racing world is here in southern ontariariooo----2 hours to Mosport --4 hours to Shannonville 4 hours to the glen 6 hours to Nelson Ledges--6 ours to lime Rock --- and travel a bit theres VIR -- Road Atlanta etc etc --- doesn't get much better ---ed :lol:
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:19 am

The UK being a smallish place if you live in the midlands then it is less than 4 hours to pretty much all the circuits in the UK
Brands, Silverstone, Donnington, Snetterton, Comb, Thruxton....
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:47 am

true I guess ---but the beer is warm --- :lol: ed
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:47 pm

No Eau Rouge can not be taken flat. You should see the gradient there it is like driving up a cliff face.

A track day there for classic cars would be a lot of fun. I have taken my Elan round Silverston GP circuit and it is a bit intimidating being passed by 200mph Porches.

Chris I see you have met the lovely Sabine, such a charming girl. You should have a ride in her taxi at the Ring. You will never complain about women drivers again. Many years ago I was luck enough to have a ride with Michelle Mouton in a full works Audi Quattro S2 an other amazing experience.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cdraper » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:20 pm

I have covered around 1000 laps in a 3ltr Capri in variuos events. Take time to learn the circuit and then treat it with great respect. It is not a place to try to find out your and your cars limit - the limit on my Elan +2 is so high I have never dared to push it "over thre top" and try to get it back on the Ring - it is just not that kind of place. Practise somewhere else. Master your car first.
Enjoy yourself - but many people make themselfs sick at first.
cdraper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:07 pm

Ed,

You hit the nail right on the sweet spot. Warm beer? Not normal. That temperature should be reserved for malt whisky.

I wish I could get a few of you guys together to talk Lotus over a bottle or two of that stuff. :) :)

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:20 pm

Hamish ---that would be a great night 8) ed
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:02 am

warm or cold, I'll send a pint to the guy who first posts Jim Clark's fastest time around the 'ring using our beloved twin cam as a power unit in his Lotus 23.
also, as a +2 owner who's driven too many cars too fast, I echo cbdraper.... be careful, the +2's capabilities are top notch.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:38 am

uh oh. ...or gal who first posts the fastest lap time......... Are there ANY non-male registered users on this site???
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: