Plus 2S end of production

PostPost by: miked » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:49 pm

Hi Guys,

Having strayed from my SF FHC into and Elise, last year, I just secured a Plus 2 (Elise will be going). I have not got it yet but I have a question. My understanding is that the Elan plus 2S finished in about 1970. Then the big valve S130 took over. Or did it still run along side??? The reason I ask is that the car I am getting has all the features of a Plus 2S and it's log book and HPI check out correct as a 2S. Said to be a two owner car. However the car is registered with Feb 73. No manufacturing date.

I know the score about ID's so before we say about that, is the above actually possible. I.E. sitting in the Lotus factory plus sitting in a dealership for a while maybe. ????

I intend to write to the archive gentleman when I get it, to see what is said.
It would be nice to find out if was manufactured before the TAX threshold. To compound matters it has a privte reg. Nice one though..... 925 ELL

It has the thick seats and plush trim and later dash. It has the engine plate on the exhaust side and has the wiring arrangement with the 3 fuse boxes on the exhaust side inner wing.

Any help appreciated.

Regards Mike
Last edited by miked on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:59 pm

It could have been sitting in a dealership for a while?

What are the features that stop it being an S130?
A S130 will have:
? Moulded recesses for the spot lamps
? Bonded screen
? Bonnet light in the trailing edge of the lid not the sides of the engine bay
? Electric headlamp switch (not vacuum)

There are lots of other differences but these are obvious ones.
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:00 pm

Maybe sitting in somebody's garage as an uncompleted kit? Get an HPI check, that will give you the original number.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:13 pm

Thanks for quick replies guys. I dont have it yet but have answered what I can

I did the HPI and is says it is a 2S.

It has the moulded reccess for the spot lamps. Black things behind the lamps.
I saw a solenoid down near the (exhaust side) front area.
It has a bonded screen. The painful one!

Have a look at:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C165587/

As you can see it does not have a big valve cam cover. Could find nothing in the head casting area, down near the plugs.

Thanks Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gray » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:19 pm

Mike

The 'chassis' number should give the manufacturing date.

Gray
Gray
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:54 pm

Mike,

The car looks to be a S130 IMHO- recessed fog/spot lights and 6 small gauge dashboard. Not to say that the original dash hasn't been changed of course. Cam cover is not S130/big valve however. Agree with Gray - the VIN number will give month and year of build.

Martin B
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:31 pm

miked wrote:I intend to write to the archive gentleman when I get it, to see what is said.
It would be nice to find out if was manufactured before the TAX threshold. To compound matters it has a privte reg. Nice one though..... 925 ELL

Regards Mike

Mike, Don't mean to sidetrack, but is there any significance to the number/letter combination, or is it simply that it's a private registration that makes it desirable? I noticed the link saying that the plate was for sale separately.

/s/ A yank who has always been confused by your registration system.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks guys for further replies.

The info' off the plate is Unit No LR 732325. I am challenging that it is true. Assume it is Feb 73 from ref's in the manual but not sure about the 325. LR for Lotus replacement chassis. I did see the Log book and it has 73 down as it year of registration. HPI says 9th March 1973. Niether has a manufactured year.

As regards the private reg, I think is is regarded as of some value as one of us Lotus nuts like the ELL bit for an Elan. I am not sure. It could also be nice for a lady with that bit in her name. I am not sure what floats folks boat with these things. My eldest son is into it (he has one) and he has emailed it off to them that buy and sell, just to see. Just for reference. I thought is was simple and memorabe. If it adds a few bob (shillings) then an investment. I did not pay, it was in with the deal as it "cuts no ice for me" and said he could put it back to its age related one and he could not be bothered.

regards Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:14 am

Hi Mike

I don't recognise the number you have given as a car unit number, looks more like a chassis number with LR standing for "Lotus Replacement"

Car unit numbers post 1970 should be of the form 72031234L, with 72 and 03 the year and month of manufacture, 1234 the individual car unit number and L the region the car was destined (for L being for the United Kingdom).

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:27 am

Mike,
Way back in 73 if a Lotus had a new chassis fitted it would have been re-registered, therefore it could well be a 1970 car. Look for the Dymo marker label let into the fibreglass on the baulkhead just above the pedal box. You may have to strip the paint off to see it. I know pre 1970 cars had the chassis number here, don't know about post 1970 cars. With this number Lotus will be able to confirm the year of manufacture.
Or do the DVLA know as they will have issued the new documents? Do Lotus know anything about the LR number?
If it is a car manufactured before 73 you will be able to get it registered as a historic vehicle regardless of the date of first registration on the log book.
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:34 am

925 ELL

Surely that reflects your Job Mike?

"Nine to Five 'ell :lol: :lol:

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:03 pm

John, John and Andy thanks for the info'

I go to pick it up on Wednesday so will have look for more numbers. I will write to Lotus and also try the DVLA. That LR business sounds right as the number does not follow the code system given in the manual. Fingers crossed, I can get Historic status.

Thanks, I will keep you posted.

Mike :)

PS John P you are right about work but I am thinking more along the lines of ELL..AN
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:33 pm

Update. I got the car last night and am very pleased.

I was wrong about the bonded screen. I need to wear my glasses more. It has the nice rubber one with the nice surround. I mistook it for the plastic bonded jobby.
I wrote to Lotus archive and got a prompt response that was inconclusive. They do not recognise the number. Even though it has the LR business. They cannot help. He did say that the engine number (can not search back by that) indicates about 1967/68. So perhaps a fresh motor. I looked through the file and found both PO's details. I will tactfully try to make contact. You never know if someone has passed on. Reg has been with it since 1973.
I wrote off to the DVLA today with my ?5 to see what they say. I suspect it got a chassis (sub fame) change in 1973 due to some kerb (or something damage) and they reregistered it. Even previous MOT folk have put 1970/71 for approx year of manufacture. Even when you insure the computer only recognises 1969/1970 for a Plus 2S. It has had to go on as an S130 for the moment with a note in the file.

I will have a look for the numbers that John mentioned. I have written a lengthy letter stating all these fact to the DVLA. Fingers crossed.

Mike :D
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sparkey » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:36 pm

From the pictures in the advert it looks to be the same spec as my +2S which is a 1970 car (except for the nice wheels !)

regards

Steve
sparkey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: miked » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:01 pm

I thought I would update this thread as things have gone very well. In fact this is very hard to believe, blew me away.

1st News. After a lot of research and the kind help from Alan Morgan at Club Lotus we managed to find enough proof to prove to the DVLA that this was in fact a 1969 Elan plus 2S. I tracked back to find the owner from 2000 to 2010. Then the husband and wife owners from 1970 to 2000. This took a bit of doing as they had moved. They wrote me a nice letter saying that they had bought it damaged in about 1970 and it took until 1973 to finish and get it back on the road. It was registered with a Peterbough age relate reg? which was instantly changed to a private plate which is still with it today. I have now got the log book with the correct age of car.

Better News. I can?t believe this. I had drawn a blank with pre 1970 period, just knowing it was bought from a breakers yard. Last night I was having a look on eBay and saw a guy selling off this documentation below for a Plus 2S that he bought and crashed in 1970. This is it below from eBay.

One owner from new.
The Entire Lotus Owner Documentation
Provided with a New Lotus Elan +2 (S) in 1970
Entitled The "Operating, Maintenance and Service Handbook".
These documents all as listed form the correct number of books and information provided by Lotus for the 1st time or new car buyer from Messrs Lotus Cars, Norwich, Norfolk. This particular set were issued in this instance with an Elan +2S, Fixed Head, Normally Aspirated, Manual Coup? of 118bhp which was purchased by me in January 1970. Having met a pine telegraph Pole in the May of that year the car found that its romance became somewhat more erstwhile than yours and mine might be and vanished; into thin air. Hence I was left with the documents.
The documents are as follows and depicted:-
1] The Handbook Pouch overprinted with the franchisees name: Mangoletsi otherwise clear faced on a black envelope.
2] White "LOTUS ELAN +2 (S) Operating, Maintenance and Service Handbook"
It is lightly soiled but in very good condition given it is some 41 years of age
3] Lotus Passport To Service incorporating maintenance schedules for Free 1000, 3000, 6000/+3000 etc., mile services. NB. These service schedules was never utilised after three thousand miles so the log is free of any mileage reports or dealers stamps, from thereon your own cars history may be transferred to the passport with impunity as the car was by then a deceased motor car. It is fortuitous, the Vehicle Identification page has not been filled in by the Lotus sales agents and your cars particulars can be transposed as original to this page. Very lightly soiled ? Near Mint.
4] Wiring Diagram with Key Legend of Cable colour code. Near Mint.
5] Operating instructions for the PYE Model 2061 Auto Radio & Record card. Cond'n?n Good
6] Inspection cards utilised by the factory but not utilised by Mangoletsi presumed as PDI documentation.
7] Original Bill. Perhaps of academic use only but who knows. Mint but Disguised.
8] Advertisement by the Factory for the Lotus Seven in Kit Form providing Caterham as the main dealer. Good condition.
9] What you need to know about your car. Merely a card showing details of the Vehicle and owner particulars.
10] Tuning the Twin Cam Fords, By David Vizard. P.Back; 80 Pages, not dogged and deemed in good condition. All about normal TC's
BDA's.,Webre 40 and 45 DCOE's. A veritable mine of information for any petrol head.

Anyway, I sent an email last night (on the off chance) with my 4 digit number. I thought there could not have been many Plus2S smashed up in 1970 when George Best and Co? were the only ones that could afford Lotus cars.
This morning a reply came back that verified it was my car that it belonged to. He is only about 20 miles from me and the car also came from a local location.

We exchanged numbers and had a good old chat. I am taking the car to show him. He also has photos of the damaged car from 1970. Not bad for 41 yaers ago. He was pretty blown away that the car was still alive and did not expect someone to come up with the same 4 digit number he has in the documention.

To top it all off I now know the original registration which I will be getting onto the DVLA about in the morning to see if it is available.

Is this a Carlsberg moment or what?

PS some may think I am stupid for posting this but it had two chassis's since this and I love this history, it makes a great story. It does when you hear the details of the prang.

Mike :D :D :shock: :D :D 8)
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next