In a quandry - please help...

PostPost by: john-c-elan+2 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:49 pm

If these are the pictures of the body BEFORE a respray ? Why was it respayed, as it looks pretty good anyway ? Re rear wishbones, I'm sure plenty of +2 & baby elans have been jacked by by imbeciles in the past and consequently have bent/dented wishbones. rgds jon

ps. I think the leather interior looks great ?
john-c-elan+2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:44 pm

Robbie
Its almost November sports car season is over and the seller is stuck with a car which he probably will not shift untill spring next year.
If you want the car make him an offer and tell him to get back to you before you go up to the Stoneleigh show to see what else is for sale.

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:20 pm

cliveyboy wrote:Robbie
Its almost November sports car season is over and the seller is stuck with a car which he probably will not shift untill spring next year.
Clive

Right on Clive! now has anyone got a nice DH Sprint they need to sell before winter as I've got five grand burning a hole in my pocket! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:18 am

Have you taken the car for a test run? If you owned one before, you should be able to get a good feel about the state of play with regard to its mechanical condition. I think the statement about the bodywork always cracking is a bit harsh. My own has covered in excess of 160,000 miles, and the body only shows two small areas of cracking - at the corners of the headlamp openings, and even they are minor at less than an inch long. 30,000 of these miles have been in the last four years. I agree that a poor paint finish can be made to look great in a photograph - see my gallery! The paint finish on mine is terrible, microblistering, fading, flattening and wear down to the undercoat and so on, so I can understand the desire to respray even when photos make it look good. I am saving the pennies for a 'proper job' for which I have been quoted ?5,5k, although that includes ?500 for the metalflake roof. I would ask for a photgraphic record of any work of this magnitude as a matter of course.

The steady oil pressure could well be due to a high flow/pressure oil pump, which mine has. They may well be unneccessary, but it was fitted by a previous owner before I got the car and I haven't seen any reason to replace it.

The interior of the car looks pretty good, this is a plus point - interiors are expensive to sort out.

Overall, ?8k is a lot of money so take a good look at what else is on the market, especially down at Stoneleigh.

+2 vs Baby Elan debate? I see more posts aout Baby Elan owners worrying about going over 80mph than +2s. The +2 may lose out in acceleration, but gains it in comfort, stability and top end. And they are cheaper! I suspect they are being broken up to push the market price up, not because they are inherently inferior.
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:02 pm

John thats fighting talk although i have to agree the wider track is better & i am a sprint owner. Back to the +2 the mechanicals are fairly easily sorted if you have the ability to do the work yourself however the body work is a no no. We all know if we read this forum if you want a lasting finish it needs the whole car stripping to gel coat & gel cracks need grinding & glassing it does not matter how many coats of primer go on those cracks are still going to return within 6 months but you know this already & i suspect you have already made up your mind to buy it. The vendor is trying to recoup his costs but it does not make it worth the money

regards

Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:22 pm

oops did I ruffle a few feathers?

Surely its obvious +2's are inferior? It's like comparing a basic Elise S1 where even the radio fitting kit was an option to a 2006 Elise S2 with traction control, abs, carpets, aircon etc. Compare the raw original Elan S1 with the +2 and the +2 is far too refined, quiet at speed, luxurious carpets, with proper ventilation, a dash like an aircraft and with those two rear seats only suitable for carrying Bernie Ecclestone and his twin ;-)

If you are a lard arse (like me) the power to weight ratio is much better in a +0 and I need all the help I can get :-) .......but then I'd prefer an S3 to my Sprint.

Don't take it too seriously guys, it was *meant* to be tongue in cheek!
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:49 am

Each to their own,but I still drool when looking at my plus2,I'm not a fan of the later plus 2's either,with their funny switches and comfy seats,though i do appreciate the five speed boxes
The only things i'd change is the colour-i'd like it JPS black-but then some bugger would run into me in the dark.
John :wink:

P.S.
Just got back from the Huddersfield Autojumble(what a load of cr*p)but the drive over Holme Moss and Woodhead Pass puts a smile on my face that lasts for hours. :lol:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:31 am

I wasn't able to drive the car unfortunately - there seems to be a new rule with insurance companies whereby they won't insure you unless you own the car. I had to settle for a ride in the passenger seat. It did seem very solid - not the usual rattley ride, no hiccups from the engine, nothing sounding loose or worn, and the driver didn't even try to scare me unlike many in the past!

Last time came close to buying I had to insure the car as if it were my own and subsequently cancel it when I didn't buy the car - ?30.00 cancelation fee!

The respray was done because the vendor didn't like the JPS gold bits and wanted a few scatches fixing, the paintshop said he my as well have the whole car done and he agreed - without a quote! ouch!

I suspect the wishbones were bent at the time of the respray. All the wheels were taken off, glass out, panels off etc as the vendor wanted the wheel arches sprayed as well - hence the overspray on the springs. As usual most garages know little of Lotus and where to jack them up....

The reinforcing plate under the pedal box was pop-riveted so I couldn't have a look underneath. In the receipts for the car was a list of work done by a PO which included new Chassis, head skim, suspension bits, servo, interior, dash, chromework and 'reinforcing of the body' which I assume relates to the plates under the pedal box, steering column and a plate put in around the battery. All this was done in 1999.

I intend to be at the Stoneleigh show to have a look around and will probably make a final decision then but, as it is, I am beggining to accept the wisdom of all who posted and lean towards thinking it is a bad idea to buy, at least at the price it is now...
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:58 pm

the thing about these car I reckon is that its up to you to judge if its the right car for you for your money........
If you choose a car you really want and it comes in your budget and its everything you set out looking for and youre happy with the price complared to the other cars youve seen then I dont see a problem....
this is all based on the ammount of trust and faith you have in the peson selling the car...
if its a genuine owner who's passionate about his pride and joy you'll know...he'll have a tear in his eye while telling you of where its been and what its done....most of them are prepared to almost give you the cars if they believe you and promise to give it the best home ever.....
on the other hand youve got some shabby dealers who cover the imminent breakdowns just to get you to take it......3 months later you'll need an engine rebuild or something exciting like that....
I'd find someone to go with you......preferably a +2 owner with a rational view.......you get more common sense from an owner than you will from you lust for the car!!!
cheers

G
:shock:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:59 pm

I didn't realise that the car had been de-JPS-ised as well! That must de-value the car further, and it's a shame to alter what is now quite a rare car...even by Lotus standards. Was the car advertised on ebay a few weeks ago with a start of ?7995 (I think)? That was all black and had recently been painted. If so, there were no bids for it, although it wasn't on very long.
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:21 pm

Was the car advertised on ebay a few weeks ago with a start of ?7995 (I think)?

It was, bidding started at ?7000.00, buy it now for ?8000, which is funny really as if I had been to see it before the auction finished I could have bid 7k and won! - I didn't get chance to go before as the vendor was away at the weekend it was on.

The concerns I have now were present before I went to see it, namely the paint and, to a lessor extent, the non-originality. I was hoping, as it didn't get any interest, that he'd be willing to take around 6k. It appears not and thinking about it, I'd still be worried at even that price as potentially, it has never had an engine rebuild, or at least there isn't any documentation to sustantiate that.

Thing is, you never know if 'The One' is just around the corner....
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:34 pm

Hi Robbie,

Thanks for your PM reply. I spent ages looking for my perfect car and when I found it I had it checked by a Lotus place in Hammersmith. The resulting list of bits and pieces and unknowns suggesting it was overpriced meant I turned it down and I've regretted it ever since because that was my perfect colour scheme, dash grain, interior etc. and I've never seen another like it. Yet at the time I was sure there was always going to be a better one out there.
So, VMU is pricey, a little unoriginal, the interior (attractive) would be more at home in an episode of Miami Vice BUT if this is the car that engages you emotionally then get it - life is simply too short. I spent ages looking at Plus Twos after turning down the one that would have made me happy. Get the car checked but NOT by a garage which covers itself by saying anything they were unable to check will probably wear out soon. Get a Lotus friend to go with you as theelanman suggests.
I think this car was on eBay a couple of years ago and the vendor lived in Bath or Bristol. If you can get in touch with him it might help as he was the one who undertook the restoration.
Make the fellow a firm cash offer, ensure he has your number and go away. The prospect of the endless dark winter ahead and no other calls could erode his resistance and make your offer attractive.

I wish you the best of luck,
Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:02 pm

would be more at home in an episode of Miami Vice

:lol: yes I agree with you there.

I'll probably see what Stoneleigh brings up (if anything) and make a decision then...

I think we are of the same mind when it comes to weighing up cars, some things are just 'right' and it can get very specific :)

Thanks for the encouragement
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:45 pm

My opinion is, if you are as undecided as you obviously are, then give it a miss.
I bought in a bit too quickly and although I have ended up with a great car I know I could have spent a lot less money if I hadn't been so impatient.
This seems to be a great deal of money for a +2 ( although I think they are worth it).
My advice is shop around some more.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:07 am

can not agree nore with you John,

the plus two is a very, very underrated car and in my opinion a much prettier and practical car than the elan but that is my opinion so please refrain form plus two bashing!

Robin, 8) from the land of the large white clouds! ( and beautifull country roads!)
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: