How many +2's are left?

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:53 pm

I understand about 3000 Lotus Elans +2's were made in their various forms. As a potential purchaser/owner I was amazed at the number which seem to be missing for various reasons... crashed, breaking for parts, gone abroad, restoration projects that will never move again and just 'lost'. Does anyone know how many are actually left taxed/tested and still driving around? Thanks.
seaandmoor
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:32 pm

Chris Harveys book says 1,600 Plus Twos between June 1967 and December 1969, and 3,000 Plus Two Ss between March 1969 and December 1974.

I have two, and I know of half a dozen more around here.

Sean Murray
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:21 am

William Taylor's excellent book, "The Lotus Book" Series Two puts the figure at 5168, ? more accurate a figure than anyone else's "about" numbers, but who knows? It's a rare car, probably half have been wrecked, burned up or parted out. I have one.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trarker » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:36 pm

Hi
Around 800 +2 S 130/5 were made, how many left ...? at least one in France, mine
regards
Jerome
trarker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:15 pm

I would also be very interested to know how many are left. At the rate they seem to be appearing on ebay in bits I would guess not that many!
I am amazed that they are not more popular at the price. When I bought mine everyone I met laughed and quoted the old " lots of trouble usually serious" to me. As far as I am concerned the laugh is on them!
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:32 pm

Hi,

Dave at Lotus Cars tells me their records show 5,167 Plus Twos were made.
It's a sad fact that the huge cost of restoration is never reflected in the market value and all +2 expenditure has to be a labour of love. Owners facing the prospect of financially ruinous restoration costs have no choice but to put it on eBay where it usually ends up broken for parts. It happens all the time.

How many 5-speeds?
The five speed first appeared in late October 1972 and the last S130 (Chassis No.7501 02013) - which was white I think - rolled out in Jan 1975. One of my Plus Twos was very early Jan '73 and in December of that year a friend's car left the factory 824 units later. Interestingly only 79 further +2 s were produced in the remaining twelve months before production ended.
So, 903 units plus however many were made in the last two months of 1972 gives the total production since the five speed became available. Sadly Lotus say they have no record as to whether cars left the factory with the 4 or 5 speed 'box as this was just a customer option and the cars are listed simply as S130s against their chassis numbers.
Not asleep YET? What stamina!

Of course, I could be wrong,
So how many are left in the UK? who knows, but at the rate they are biting the dust it won't be long before their value rises due to rarity.

Best wishes,
Simon
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: blueseamonkey » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:45 pm

I was amazed at how cheaply I could pick up such an amazing car, and have had brilliant fun already. So glad I went for this rather than the other rattly old classics I could afford for the same money. :D
As for how many are left, there's 293 listed on the Plus 2 register, many of those in Sweden, although not all are still running at present. but it looks like it hasn't been updated in ages. Makes me think though if there's that many in Sweden, probably will be a fair few more over here, if they haven't all been broken up for parts.
Rick
blueseamonkey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:33 pm

Bonjour Jerome, top guinness Sean and evening to all others. Seems +2's are emigrating where the roads are much more fun to drive on these days but to SWEDEN? What would happen if you got hit by a Volvo?!
I have managed to (hushed tones) purchase one recently (back to normal volume) after a year of looking at adverts for mostly near terminal cases or occasionlly very good cars at ?10K+ which haven't hung around. I have to say I haven't got it yet... a long storey but it is on it's way! I would add that my question about how many left was prompted by the fact that I have NEVER actually seen one, and when mine arrives it will be the first I've ever seen! I know, I can hear all the gasps of disbelief and "too much cider done 'is 'ed in" but I just know I'm going to be very happy with this one. Apart from which loads of money can buy the most exotic production car but it can't easily buy one these. I've done a bit more checking and PRODUCTION figures generally compare quite closely with what some of you have been saying and puts it at somewhere between 4600 and 5000.
However, is there any way at all of finding out HOW MANY ARE LEFT? which I think is more interesting than the number produced. I know the difficulty is that not all owners will register with any particular club/organisation etc. Could DVLA help or indeed any of the usual insurers for Lotus cars? Any further contributions before the trail goes cold on this one please. Thanks again.
seaandmoor
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:56 pm

Seaandmoor:

Thanks for your greetings, but I am at a loss as to how to respond as you haven't signed off !

We had an initial meeting of Irish Lotus owners in Dublin last week, organised through whatever grapevines we could tap. One chap had contacted the Irish Registration Authority and they were able to supply a number list of all Lotuses currently registered here. I don't have the figures to hand, but should have some time soon.

So try taking that man in Swansea out for a few drinks....

Sean Murray
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:16 pm

Hi again Sean,
Thanks for that. Do let me know what you find out with the IRA ! Could only be that over there !
Would anyone in the IRA know exactly who I might contact in the DVLA ? A friendly acquaintance or work colleague of each other perhaps.
I'm about 2 hours from DVLA so too far to call in unexpected but I'll see if a telephone call might land on sypathetic ears. And I'll have a few beer 'vouchers' ready to see if that helps.
Regards DAVID HICKMAN. There happy now :-)
seaandmoor
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trarker » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:16 pm

Hi,
In France, at least there are 4 left
- 2 RHD, a gulf blue 130S and a dark blue
- a white LHD convertible
- mine, a LHD 73 S130/5 bentley blue, french from the begining....

maybe there are others left.... I know one sold for parts (without registration)
one of my friends is looking for a LHD 130/5 but doesn't find one...elan +2 are very rare in France
jerome
trarker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:02 pm

Oh go on then....I've got one too and half a mile down the road is another growing verdigree(both '68 Cirrus White)
John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:21 pm

Well John, this is the hard way and it assumes all +2 owners contribute to the forum.
OK, I have two 5-speeds and I'm getting another one :shock: ... (maybe I should get a straight jacket instead).

Your turn Berni.

Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: blueseamonkey » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:18 pm

Ok if we're carrying on this way, I've got one (an older 4 speed), and have seen at least one more in Sheffield - bright orange that one. :)
Rick
blueseamonkey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:35 am

[quote="seaandmoor"]Hi again Sean,
Thanks for that. Do let me know what you find out with the IRA ! Could only be that over there !
Would anyone in the IRA know exactly who I might contact in the DVLA ?

David,

My apologies for an unfortunate selection of title for the Body Looking After Vehicle Records, let's hope that lot are finished.

I've just had a look on the Irish motor tax website correct title DOE/ Motor tax. They have some interesting vehicle statistics, including a table of private cars listed by make :

http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/doeipub.nsf/ ... 20font.pdf

It shows 33 Lotuses registered in Ireland in 2003, 6 Morrises , 2 Reliants and a solitary Humber

Best wishes,

Sean
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: