back box for my+2S130

PostPost by: thor » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:30 pm

What's a decent one, not too noisy, but still reasonably sporty and not too far from original?(i.e. would go on my system without mods..)

Have looked at Matty's and Chris Neil, but whos's this supplier called TTR that keeps popping up on these forums???

cheers,
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:40 pm

"Who is this supplier TTR ?" :shock:

Tony Thompson Racing go and see this site.... don't really know if he has bits for +2's though. :?

www.tonythompsonracing.co.uk

Gino
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:25 pm

Hello Thor,

Most Plus Twos today sport the standard replacement stainless back box with the 2" diameter tail pipe which can be quite noisy but I believe the original for the late model cars was made by Peco and can be seen on the JPS in the Stoneleigh gallery photos. From the look of it I can't imagine it'll be quieter though. :D

Best wishes,

Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mushtak » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:58 pm

Hi There
I have a used (I believe stainless) back box if you're interested. It came off my +2 S130. I've gone through the Zetec conversion & fitted a new stainless exhaust sytem so I no longer need it. I can send you pictures if you want.
Mushtak
New-tral

PostPost by: thor » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:25 pm

send me a pic on
[email protected]

I quite agree with your point Si, and not sure what to do... The Peco box looks nice though...
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: thor » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:33 pm

had another look now, the Peco box looke like a Monster, with about half an inch ground clearance.. yo sure this is not off a Mitsubishi EVO or something... :shock: :lol:

The one one Niall's Zetec on the other hand looks lovely, and such a good fit!.. Niall, where are you, what is it?

cheers
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:52 am

Hi Thor,

It's true you don't see many Pecos around these days but they were the Lotus-supplied part on the later S130s. I'm checking to see if they're still available.
The photo doesn't show it at its best as the poor JPS is sitting much too low at the rear and the tail pipe should be shiny chrome or stainless. Interested?

Best wishes,

Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: thor » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:37 am

very interesting, Si..
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:22 pm

thor wrote:The one one Niall's Zetec on the other hand looks lovely, and such a good fit!.. Niall, where are you, what is it?

cheers

Just sent a reply to your PM, but for the greater wisdom it's a double S box, made for spyder (2" inlet pipe).
http://www.stainlesssteelexhausts.co.uk/

Cheers,

Niall
Banbury(ish)
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:30 pm

Thor,

Got mine from Matty's. Nice unit, fitted easily fine noise which is not too loud. Has the best sounding tick over I've heard. :D

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:35 pm

Nice, I'll consider that one, as I don't think I've got a 2" pipe, and the exhaust system is nice, except for the back box which looks sad. Supposedly stainless, but you know....there's stainless and then there's stainless...

Shame there's no picture in your gallery Hamish. Has it got a rolled edge on the pipe?
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:57 am

Thor,

There is no rolled edge on the pipe.

The way I have the silencer positioned, the back pipe protrudes about 1" beyond the bumper. That seems to minimise the noise inside the car and makes long distance journeys a lot more pleasant.

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:08 am

[quote="thor"] but you know....there's stainless and then there's stainless...

May be you metalargists out there can cast some light on this, but do some 'stainless' systems not have a higher % of mild steel in them to make the material easier to work? ergo, some stainless systems can show corrosion fairly quickly. It's just that they corrode a hell of a lot slower than their mild steel equivalent.

The stainless box I bought from Matty last Summer already seems to be showing rust on the main weld where the pipe enters the box.

Hamish.
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:33 am

Hamish Coutts wrote:
but do some 'stainless' systems not have a higher % of mild steel in them to make the material easier to work? ergo, some stainless systems can show corrosion fairly quickly. It's just that they corrode a hell of a lot slower than their mild steel equivalent.

I am not a metallurgist but.....

It depends on the type of stainless - basically two types are commonly used for exhausts, austenitic and ferritic

If the stainless is is in the ANSI 300 series then the stainless is austenitic and the ones usually used for exhausts (304 or 316) have 18% Chromium and 8% Nickel, with a bit of molybdenum added in 316.

If it's in the ANSI 400 series then the stainless is ferritic with 409 being commonly used for exhausts. 409 only has about 11% Chromium and very little nickel. In service they will usually form a rust like coating fairly quickly but they are easy to weld and even press into shape and are subsequently used in a lot of production vehicles for catalyst housings and silencer boxes.

Most exhausts you see on sale for the aftermarket will probably be 304 or 316 but one or two places are offering exhausts with some 409. The reason the 300 series types will corrode on the welds is usually down to a couple of major reasons. The weld will often be done with no shielding gas on the rear of the weld area (either the weld needs to be done in a completely inert atmosphere or you feed gas in via bungs and purge all the air out before you commence welding) - I suspect this is quite common having briefly seen a couple of production facilities in the UK. The other reason is incompatible filler wire is being used. But there are lots of other reasons too, I know someone involved in welding research and he reckons you could write a book on how not to weld or utilise stainless - with exhausts being featured in every chapter!

To my mind stainless exhausts are a huge can of worms - don't ever buy one without a full guarantee as likely as not you WILL need it sooner rather than later and always keep a spare one to fit (in mild steel) to fit on the car just in case :)
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:16 pm

Hamish, do you have a pic of your car with this visible, and; to fit it prtruding that much, did you have to modify the rest of the system?

if you have a pic:
[email protected]
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: