Manuals

PostPost by: Ianashdown57 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi,
Are the Workshop and Parts Manuals for a 1970 Federal +2 available for download anywhere? Does anyone have copies they would be willing to send me?

Many thanks,

Ian
ianashdown at pacific-composites dot net
Ianashdown57
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:53 pm

It was available at one time on the internet. I think that ALL lotus workshop and parts manuals have copyrights and they have been pulled at the request of Andy Graham. The files are about 10 meg for the plus2 parts manual, I am not sure I have seen the workshop manual. All of the usual parts suppliers sell the Lotus copyright manuals and Lotus well get there due share except for a certain site that is someplace in Germany. Its was discussed recently and the quality of the reprints was described as sub standard I believe. Buy real parts and parts and workshop manuals and support those that support us.
:)
Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ianashdown57 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi,
I'm just mildly cosidering a +2 and thought that a little research might be a good idea. Should I commit to buy one I always buy the best manuals I can get, and believe me all the usual vendors have and will get plenty of my hard earned!

Ian
Ianashdown57
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Ray has the parts manual on his site: www.rdent.com

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanmac » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:33 am

I purchased an Elan parts manual from P. Matty a few years ago, but it was little more than a poor photocopy. When I queried the quality I was told that was as good as I could get from Lotus. Some pages are unusable due to the printing being too light.
Mac
elanmac
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: LotusArchives » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:11 pm

I'm not aware of any quality issues with the genuine Lotus manuals, especially unusable pages.
LotusArchives
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:09 am

Salut

I bought a genuine manual from South West Lotus - it's a reprint, most of it is OK, but the electrical wiring diagrams have been reduced from fold-out A3 to A4. Combined with less than prefect printing/photocopying they are useless.

+2 manuals have been going quite cheap on eBay - I'd recommend a grubby original over the fresh reprint.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:56 am

LotusArchives wrote:I'm not aware of any quality issues with the genuine Lotus manuals, especially unusable pages.

You may want to check that :wink:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LotusArchives » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:43 am

nebogipfel wrote:
LotusArchives wrote:I'm not aware of any quality issues with the genuine Lotus manuals, especially unusable pages.

You may want to check that :wink:

I have checked our print master that we print from and our old office hard copy, both have A4 sized wiring diagrams and are generally clear (although obviously small print, as stated above, the original wouldn't have been A4, but the original like alot of the original Elan records is no longer with us) which means some parts of the text can be unfortunately patchy in places, but generally can be worked out what should be there. Remember this is copy of an old original document which would have been hand typed, properly cut and pasted with bits of paper and drawn lines and text that was photocopied to produce a page without all the cuttings and then printed to produce a book. All are photocopies of some description as that was the only way to produce documents back in the 70s. We don't have a electronic copy as these are genuine copies of the genuine pages from the 70s, so quality will differ from the latest manuals that are printed direct from a computer.

I am getting the impression that the copies some of you have cannot be read at all?

In order to overcome this issue some of you have, if any one wants some assistance with the text or a scan copy that they can enlarge on a computer screen, let me know the page you want scanned (LSL number at the bottom) to me at my work address [email protected]
LotusArchives
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:55 pm

Salut Andy

There's a very commendable offer (didn't realise who you were from your pseudo).

Personally I'm OK as I have original manual, too. I've read every page of the original, and bought the reprint to use one of them in the workshop ;-) Fortunately I didn't pay the full ?80 - I would have felt disappointed, and despite the reproduction difficulties you mentioned and which I understand, IMHO the full price is a little steep for a manual that has had some unclear parts.

Anyway, if you do make some scans of the electrical diagrams I would be very interested - even A3 with my new glasses is a challange - zooming on a computer screen would help.

Merci

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: