My 'new' 68 +2, thoughts and comments please....

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:29 pm

Tidy looking Plus 2, congratulations!

The servo installation looks ok to me, it's usual to mount them (the Lockheed replacements which you have) facing the other way but as long as the outlet is inclined by 25 deg or so it's fine. Post a question in the Brakes section or do battle with the search function if you want more information.

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bozzie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:04 pm

Rob P wrote:Nice looking motor and welcome to the club. As Eric stated get yourself down to the Hoghton Arms for the NW club Lotus meets, there are always a few people who can answer questions you might have and Gordon Lund who runs the NW Club Lotus group has a +2 of his very own and is very knowledgable.
Where abouts in Lancashire are you based, I'm a Preston lad so if your local I'm happy to meet up and have a chat, although my car is the smaller of the elans but still a twin cam after all :D

Hi Rob, I?m not far from you as I?m in St Annes. I will send you over my contact details and be great to meet up for a chat and some photos of both of them maybe. Car not with me till 20th unfortunately but looking forward to it.
Cheers Mark
Bozzie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Bozzie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:16 pm

Robbie693 wrote:Tidy looking Plus 2, congratulations!

The servo installation looks ok to me, it's usual to mount them (the Lockheed replacements which you have) facing the other way but as long as the outlet is inclined by 25 deg or so it's fine. Post a question in the Brakes section or do battle with the search function if you want more information.

Robbie

Cheers Robbie that?s good to know, I believe there?s a guy in Church nr Accrington who?s quite knowledgeable I think the company is Phoenix Motorsport or something like that. I was going to get him to give the car a once over and maybe a slightly early MOT for my piece of mind. Does anyone know of any other good Lotus knowledgable service places in Lancashire?
Bozzie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:24 pm

tonyr27 wrote:Mines the DTA mapped ignition only. The engine is very tractable even at low revs in higher gears.
It was on the car when I bought it, not sure I would buy it. We have a Aldon igniter on the S3 and that runs well.
TonyR

That's good to know, looking forward to getting my DTA running.

I put Luminition in my Plus 2S a good many years ago, never had to touch it since.

When I think of all the hassle I had fiddling with points and condensors........ :o
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:38 pm

Bozzie wrote:
Robbie693 wrote:Tidy looking Plus 2, congratulations!

Robbie

Cheers Robbie that?s good to know, I believe there?s a guy in Church nr Accrington who?s quite knowledgeable I think the company is Phoenix Motorsport or something like that. I was going to get him to give the car a once over and maybe a slightly early MOT for my piece of mind. Does anyone know of any other good Lotus knowledgable service places in Lancashire?

Mark, you are learning fast my friend, Phoenix motorsport is where a lot of the locals from Lancashire head for advice, Ollie is the guy to speak to but he's pretty busy and I don't think he takes in MOT's any more but would be a good place to get it the once over.
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:01 am

Welcome Bozzie! Beautiful car; can't wait to hear more about it!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:39 am

JohnP wrote: if you want to fit electronic ignition make sure you use Aldon!

john.p.clegg wrote:..or Lumenition.

John :wink:

alan.barker wrote:For the Ignition i would suggest "Simonbloc Hall effect" which fits inside the dissy and needs no modification to anything.
Alan

Hi Bozzie & welcome.
I've not had good luck with Aldon ignition, two out of the three I have experience with upset the tacho operation & all three finally gave up the ghost completely. They were all replaced with Powerspark (from simonbbc, which I think is who Alan is referencing above, http://www.simonbbc.com/electronic-igni ... r-the-mini) & I have also fitted same to my +2. They are a fraction of the cost of Aldon & have so far proved reliable & don't seem to upset the tacho. I have also had good experiences with Lumenition in the past.

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:57 am

...or wasted spark!!
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:24 pm

Evening Bozzie, AKA Mark,
I assume you have collected the car by now, was the 20th I believe, hopefully you are pleased with the purchase and it has seen a few miles to get the feel for any work that might be required
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bozzie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:09 pm

Hi Rob, yes I now have the car. I took the train down to Banbury with my 12 year old daughter last Saturday and met the seller in the station car park. He had prepared the car and filled her with fuel. We set off and made our way back. I thought it wise to avoid the motorway so travelled up to South Birmingham on the A roads a bit pussy footed!!!. Car was sweet and I hopped on the M6 and we did 80 all the way home, it didn?t miss a beat and was a delight to drive.

We stopped at the services and I sat in the Starbucks and watched people looking at the car and when I went out I was surrounded by older guys reminiscing about their former motors! I guess I will have to get used about that lol

Only issue was the first 60 miles or so the stink of fuel. In thinking the seller overfilled the comfortable level of fuel and it sloshed about the breather pipes. I am going to have to address this problem as the Mrs will not like that one bit. Also when driving then passenger door mirror was not visible but today I've fitted a pair of torpedo type mirrors that sit 6? forward (glass does).

Been tinkering this week hence no posts!

Anyway I'm ready to play out with her now given a bit of sunshine but sadly can't make the NW meeting on 5th.

Looking forward to meeting you Rob and any other NW owners.
Bozzie
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: