Elan to Alfa?s rescue

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:16 am

I operate a Towing and Recovery service on Hwy 3A, 31 and 31A
Edge of the Canadian Rockies, Beside the Bugaboo?s nestled in the Selkirk and Purcell mountains.
Although I have some fun motorbikes to preform service (Honda TLR250R and Aprilia 550) our family typically rides trials bikes in the high country.
For roadside service I normally have my Elan. In this case, an Alfa required a wheel change.
Thought y?all might get a kick out of it...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uuuw5AM30RI
Attachments
6e2f9f09-adfe-4a29-b4f9-4e99e240c3f1.jpeg and
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:28 am

You can see more of the 100 mile long Kootenay Lake, and snow capped mountains (Mt Loki)
Attachments
cd651e9d-c3ce-408c-a996-213e1964335e.jpeg and
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:25 pm

Great roads and scenery!

Quite ironic to see a Lotus being used as the road assistance vehicle. Not the other way around.

Got to be a first.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:48 pm

Yes, great views and story. Many years ago I had to rebuilt the gearbox of my Honda Civic. The Honda dealer was not amused when I arrived in my +2 to pick up gearbox parts for a Civic.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:51 am

My former Esprit got me to work, and to the VW dealer for parts, on several occasions when my Mk IV GTI couldn't be bothered to stay reliable.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:04 am

I must forward this to people I know in the local alfa club !! They are always putting down Lotus reliability :lol:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Esprit2 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Lotus unreliability is one of those bigger-than-life running jokes, like Lucas electrics and all Britcars leak oil. Slightly exaggerated.

I'm on this forum as an Elan 'fan', but I'm not an owner. However, I've had four Europas, an Esprit S2, and two Eclats, and I've used them all as daily drivers and cross-country road cars. I've got more than 350,000 miles in three of the Europas alone.

Okay, Europa rear wheel bearings don't last long, and require routine replacement. But I stay ahead of the curve on that, and out of my seven Lotus, I've had an accessory V-belt break, a coolant hose blow, a fuel filter clog, three motor mounts fail (two autocrossing the Esprit), and an alternator die... over a span of 43 years. Not bad.

My current daily driver is a 1970 Europa S2. Besides running around the metro, I recently took it on a 6 hour round trip to Lake Superior (not a rare event) without a care about whether or not I'd make it home... I just hopped in it and went. And besides domestic duty, one Europa S2, the Esprit and both Eclats have performed as autocrossers. The Europa & Esprit were frequent class winners/ season champions at a local level (I never attended SCCA nationals). Oh, okay, add one sheared rear stub axle on the Esprit... competition damage.

The only thing that makes the Elan/ Europa a poor rescue car is a lack of space for the big repair parts required by 'normal' cars. But the Elan +2, or better yet, the Eclat, would cover that.

Regards,
Tim Engel
Last edited by Esprit2 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Esprit2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:50 pm

Esprit2 wrote:Lotus unreliability is one of those bigger-than-life running jokes, like Lucas electrics and all Britcars leaking oil. Slightly exaggerated.

I'm on this forum as an Elan 'fan', but I'm not an owner. However, I've had four Europas, an Esprit S2, and two Eclats, and I've used them all as daily drivers and cross-country road cars. I've got more than 350,000 miles in three of the Europas alone.

Okay, Europa rear wheel bearings don't last long, and require routine replacement. But I stay ahead of the curve on that, and out of my seven Lotus, I've had an accessory V-belt break, a coolant hose blow, a fuel filter clog, three motor mounts fail (two autocrossing the Esprit), and an alternator die... over a span of 43 years. Not bad.

My current daily driver is a 1970 Europa S2. Besides running around the metro, I recently took it on a 6 hour round trip to Lake Superior (not a rare event) without a care about whether or not I'd make it home... I just hopped in it and went. And besides domestic duty, one Europa S2, the Esprit and both Eclats have performed as autocrossers. The Europa & Esprit were frequent class winners/ season champions at a local level (I never attended SCCA nationals). Oh, okay, add one sheared rear stub axle on the Esprit... competition damage.

The only thing that makes the Elan/ Europa a poor rescue car is a lack of space for the big repair parts required by 'normal' cars. But the Elan +2, or better yet, the Eclat, would cover that.

Regards,
Tim Engel

I think Lotuses live much longer when they?re driven frequently.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Esprit2 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:05 am

Absolutely. Driven often, and REGULARLY MAINTAINED. It's the Garage Queens that suffer reliability problems.

Regards,
Tim Engel
Esprit2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:52 pm

Great to see the Plus 2 out in the wild. Still have a Kootenay tour pencilled in for next year. Absolutely great two lanes with fantastic alpine vistas. :D

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: clivetonge » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:44 pm

Here's my reliability tale with a happy ending which is a reflection of how good the Lotus community is:

Back in the eighties as a young man running my S3 DHC on an absolute shoestring the rotor arm disintegrated while in the fast(!) lane of the M6 just shy of spaghetti junction in the morning rush hour. After a kamikhazi dive across two lanes of traffic I had my head under the bonnet. In one of those weird earth shifting moments I looked up to see a virtually identical red S3 DHC parked behind me. It was seriously surreal.

The guy went way out of his way to drop me in central Birmingham to collect a trailer. I hope I managed to express my appreciation properly during that stressful time but if you're out there, thanks again. I owe you several pints!
clivetonge
New-tral

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:35 am

stugilmour wrote:Great to see the Plus 2 out in the wild. Still have a Kootenay tour pencilled in for next year. Absolutely great two lanes with fantastic alpine vistas. :D

Stu

Looking forward to it @Stu
Maybe when the LCCBC is here, or you have some time, still have a tool to return. My brothers +2 Spyder chassis is arriving soon I hope!
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:59 am

h20hamelan wrote:
stugilmour wrote:Great to see the Plus 2 out in the wild. Still have a Kootenay tour pencilled in for next year. Absolutely great two lanes with fantastic alpine vistas. :D

Stu

Looking forward to it @Stu
Maybe when the LCCBC is here, or you have some time, still have a tool to return. My brothers +2 Spyder chassis is arriving soon I hope!

Wow, has it been that long since I posted that! What the heck happened over the last few years! :D

Yes, would be great to get down your way this summer. I just “ran the gauntlet” thru the Rockies to the VanDusen ABFM, returning via Crowsnest Pass. Unfortunately the Plus 2 wasn’t ready, so I took the Miata.

Will let you know if we are head down again.

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: