Period Correct Engine Bay

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:35 pm

My early plus 2 has a one bolt air intake housing, some have three bolts, no idea when the change occurred. Paint finish seemed to vary either Matt or satin type black finish. Must admit I?ve had mine sprayed the same dark blue as the rest of the body. As mentioned the wiper motor seems to have had several positions and orientations. Very early ones were on the blanking plate above the passenger footwell with later ones on the vertical section some with the drive tube at the top and some at the bottom. Air horn position seemed to vary quite a bit too.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:58 pm

The correct servo should of course be the Girling but mine had seized and Matty didn't want to send it away to be refurbed so he fitted the Lockheed. I haven't got round to refitting the Girling but the Lockheed works just as well. Alan - I'll leave you to tell Matty and all of the owners where he has fitted the Lockheed that he doesn't know what he is doing! Jim
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:04 pm

O jim .... an after market braided clutch line and plastic clutch master cap :cry: i feel disappointed in you :lol:

On a serious note..... your car is art !! an example of how these cars should be maintained.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:20 pm

Grizzly wrote:O jim .... an after market braided clutch line and plastic clutch master cap :cry: i feel disappointed in you :lol:

That's Matty for you. I was just glad to get the car home in one piece.

On a serious note..... your car is art !! an example of how these cars should be maintained.

Agree though that I need to sort out some detailing. But I can't find the correct/original brake master cylinder float as my original one doesn't seal anymore.
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:39 pm

JimE wrote:The correct servo should of course be the Girling but mine had seized and Matty didn't want to send it away to be refurbed so he fitted the Lockheed. I haven't got round to refitting the Girling but the Lockheed works just as well. Alan - I'll leave you to tell Matty and all of the owners where he has fitted the Lockheed that he doesn't know what he is doing! Jim

I'm only trying to help. If the Valve is at the wrong angle the Brakes can stay locked on. I suggest you look at past posts on the subject.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:18 pm

Engine bay of federal plus 2S1 30 of the later vins (0306N) that had emissions accoutrements! and an air conditioning package fitted by Millerton New York distributorship. The same aftermarket air company was used by Lotus for the Europa and early Esprit and it did end up with the second Girling servo in the nose (like Taylors) and a Motorola alternator with external regulator mounted on top of the pedal box. Satin paint and Warning sticker on the Stromberg airbox of the ease at which the adapter plates are broken as they are mounted.Gordon Sauer
Attachments
b6f0ffdb-df4c-44c8-be5d-88075a9f4a24.jpeg and
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:24 pm

alan.barker wrote:
JimE wrote:The correct servo should of course be the Girling but mine had seized and Matty didn't want to send it away to be refurbed so he fitted the Lockheed. I haven't got round to refitting the Girling but the Lockheed works just as well. Alan - I'll leave you to tell Matty and all of the owners where he has fitted the Lockheed that he doesn't know what he is doing! Jim

I'm only trying to help. If the Valve is at the wrong angle the Brakes can stay locked on. I suggest you look at past posts on the subject.
Alan

Alan - I've never read the fitting instructions on this. I did ask Morland Jones to put right the issues resulting from Paul Matty's handiwork and they were ok with the postioning of the servo which was good enough for me. While you have highlighted a potential problem, my brakes have been ok so far (5 years) but if they do lock up it will precipitate me refitting the Girling which gives a much nicer pedal feel. Jim
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:00 am

The replacement Servos are OK but there are instructions to fit 25? to 45? + 30? from vertical.
Sometimes you also need to fit an extra Spring under the Valve (this stops the delay in the Brakes releasing).
On my Elan Sprint it it had a Chassis change + lots of work including fitting a replacement Servo by Saint Miles and he had not fitted it at the correct angle. Result was sometimes the Brakes used to be slow to release :shock:
Saint Miles and Matty are only Human and can forget things. I still do things wrong also after 45 Years of working on Lotus.
Please have a look at past posts on "Servo angle" it makes good reading :wink:
Alan
ps. Rimmer Bros have info about this :wink:
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:42 am

As Allan says it should be mounted at an angle, here is the Lockheed instruction.
Attachments
loc4-copy-copy.jpg and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:52 am

Thanks Brian,
i'm not very good at attaching images :oops:
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:48 pm

JimE wrote:But I can't find the correct/original brake master cylinder float as my original one doesn't seal anymore.

I have the same problem, my Sovy died along time ago and i've been collecting bits to try to make a new one. In the mean time i bought a new Jag version (?25 from sngbarratt) then shortened it and tweaked it a bit (looks presentable) I think there is a thread on here showing how it's done, i'm not the first one to do it...... only thing that drives me mad is it's white not red... so i will try and make up an original one at some point. :roll:
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:29 pm

RD Enterprises (USA) sells those SOVY units for $61 bucks!
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:54 pm

alan.barker wrote:The replacement Servos are OK but there are instructions to fit 25? to 45? + 30? from vertical.
Sometimes you also need to fit an extra Spring under the Valve (this stops the delay in the Brakes releasing).
On my Elan Sprint it it had a Chassis change + lots of work including fitting a replacement Servo by Saint Miles and he had not fitted it at the correct angle. Result was sometimes the Brakes used to be slow to release :shock:
Saint Miles and Matty are only Human and can forget things. I still do things wrong also after 45 Years of working on Lotus.
Please have a look at past posts on "Servo angle" it makes good reading :wink:
Alan
ps. Rimmer Bros have info about this :wink:

I fitted the extra spring under the valve as a precaution. Servo works fine thus far. Jim
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:56 pm

types26/36 wrote:As Allan says it should be mounted at an angle, here is the Lockheed instruction.

Given the angle of the engine bay I don't how easy it would be to get the correct angle for the servo. I'll revisit and see although as I have already indicated my servo seems to be working ok. This could be the reason why Miles and Matty compromised on the fitting. Jim
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:50 pm

Is there a reason quoted why the servo should be mounted at that specific angle?
I had read somewhere that it was to ensure that air was not trapped in the servo when filling and bleeding the system. The way it?s mounted in the above diagrams would ensure that.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: