Period Correct Engine Bay

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:14 pm

HI

My 1971 +2S130
I Have tried to maintain originality from new, couple of things I have changed is the position of the coil for better access and the washer pump is a replacement from CN. the addition of a fan stat control for the original fan.

dsc03050.jpg and

dsc03049.jpg and
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:27 pm

Interesting, looks like you have only one windscreen washer jet, mine has two and always has had.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:51 pm

Bigbaldybloke wrote:Interesting, looks like you have only one windscreen washer jet, mine has two and always has had.

The +2 has two windscreen water jets but placed centrally as per all of the photographs on this thread.
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:22 pm

Mine has two individual jets placed just to the outside of the wiper pivot point. I?ve actually fitted dual nozzles in place of the original badly corroded single jet items. The very first picture on this thread also has two separate nozzles, the original single jet type that I have replaced.
Attachments
fc38176e-d6e1-4ecb-be31-9386e37c9685.jpeg and
Zoom in to see the washer jets
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:22 am

JimE wrote:
Bigbaldybloke wrote:Interesting, looks like you have only one windscreen washer jet, mine has two and always has had.

The +2 has two windscreen water jets but placed centrally as per all of the photographs on this thread.

+2S 130 has a central washer jet, earlier cars have two. Obviously a CABC cost saving and I'm not sure exactly when the change took place, my +2S shell has 2 jets and my 130 has one.

There was an excellent thread with a long list of differences on this site years ago but I haven't found it again recently, I thought I'd copied it...

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:49 am

I saved these pics from here a while ago, depicted is an S130 that had apparently never been apart, although it looks like the SOVY has been replaced at some point...

z-jps1.jpg and
z-offside-engine.jpg and

As far as the Lockheed servo installation is concerned, mine is installed at the correct angle and it still hung-on! Fixed by fitting the aforementioned spring, something that is illustrated on the exploded drawing of the fitting guide but seems to be missing from the now supplied replacements. Wish I had a Girling though!

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:58 am

I?m pretty sure that is a Girling but the ones that were used I believe on the Europas not the larger one that was on the +2. And that looks like Dellortos never fitted to +2s?Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:30 am

Robbie693 wrote:I saved these pics from here a while ago, depicted is an S130 that had apparently never been apart, although it looks like the SOVY has been replaced at some point...

z jps1.jpg
z offside engine.jpg

As far as the Lockheed servo installation is concerned, mine is installed at the correct angle and it still hung-on! Fixed by fitting the aforementioned spring, something that is illustrated on the exploded drawing of the fitting guide but seems to be missing from the now supplied replacements. Wish I had a Girling though!

Robbie

My late 73 Plus 2S130/5 had a white sovy top from new as far as I can tell. i suspect Lotus used what they could get and if only white was delivered / available they took it.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:22 am

Robbie693 wrote:I saved these pics from here a while ago, depicted is an S130 that had apparently never been apart, although it looks like the SOVY has been replaced at some point...

z jps1.jpg
z offside engine.jpg

Robbie

In the 2 photos it looks like a Girling to me. The last +2S130 i had i bought a Kit for the Girling Servo and refurbished myself.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:50 am

Gordon Sauer wrote:I?m pretty sure that is a Girling but the ones that were used I believe on the Europas not the larger one that was on the +2. And that looks like Dellortos never fitted to +2s?Gordon Sauer

The pics are not my car, sorry for the confusion and yes, it is a Girling. All Plus 2 had Girlings but the earlier models had the MK II A, superseded by the MK II B at some point, possibly with the introduction of the 'S' model.

Dellorto's were fitted to EU and domestic cars when Weber put their prices up.

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:54 am

rgh0 wrote:
My late 73 Plus 2S130/5 had a white sovy top from new as far as I can tell. i suspect Lotus used what they could get and if only white was delivered / available they took it.

cheers
Rohan

Ah! Didn't know that, thanks Rohan

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:31 pm

That's my old JPS, which indeed had never been apart.

Here a high-def close up of the engine bay....
Attachments
19jan07-010.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: