Lotus Elan

STEERING WHEEL

PostPost by: Gizze » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:06 pm

My Elan Plus 2s has unfortunately long ago lost its original steering wheel. I'm looking for a cheap good looking replacement. My question is would a Triumph Dolomite wheel fit (I believe the rack is Triumph sourced and so hopefully it would fit)?
If not any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Gizze
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 63
Joined: 26 Apr 2005

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:18 pm

The Spitfire wheel will fit, as should the Dolomite but you will need to see if you have a horn press on the steering wheel or on the stalk. I think that the Stag and Dolomite had the horn press on the stalk, so the steering wheels may not be suitable if you need a horn press on the wheel.
User avatar
Matt Elan
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 393
Joined: 27 Oct 2011
Location: Fleet, Hants, UK

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:10 pm

I think that the Triumph wheel does not have the same amount of "dish" as the Lotus wheel ((flatter) although not a problem if you have long arms :lol:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
User avatar
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3630
Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Location: U.K.

PostPost by: Foxie » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:28 pm

Gizze wrote:My Elan Plus 2s has unfortunately long ago lost its original steering wheel. I'm looking for a cheap good looking replacement. My question is would a Triumph Dolomite wheel fit (I believe the rack is Triumph sourced and so hopefully it would fit)?
If not any other suggestions would be appreciated!


I replaced the original Lotus steering wheel in my Plus 2 with a Motalita Mark 4

https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/steering-wh ... im-dished/

I was so pleased with it I replaced the Ferrari 308 steering wheel as well.

It's not exactly cheap, but it is pure quality ! :)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
User avatar
Foxie
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 868
Joined: 20 Sep 2003
Location: Wexford, Ireland

PostPost by: Slowtus » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:59 pm

I have a Plus 2 signature wheel in decent shape but I suspect the shipping cost would be prohibitive.

I was offered $800 for it a couple of years back which is really prohibitive but now I think that's what it is worth so... :D
Slowtus
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 169
Joined: 22 Sep 2017
Location: Canada

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:08 pm

budget allowing, some nice repros are offered by

http://jacobengineering.co.uk/index.php ... -wheels-2/

no affiliation on my side
S4SE 36/8198
User avatar
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1263
Joined: 02 Sep 2013
Location: France

PostPost by: gus » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:49 pm

I think most modern wheels look out of place.

The availability of new high quality repops should hopefully hold down the cost of original ones

Consider an Elan wheel instead of the Plus Two, it is slightly smaller
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 617
Joined: 05 May 2011

PostPost by: Gizze » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:00 pm

Many thanks for the suggestions.
Yes if the budget permitted I'd get a wheel from Jacob Engineering - They look great.
However a spitfire/GT6 wheel should fit the bill and with a bit of ingenuity I hope the Lotus badge can be fashioned to fit the centre
Gizze
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 63
Joined: 26 Apr 2005

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:07 pm

gus wrote:I think most modern wheels look out of place.

The availability of new high quality repops should hopefully hold down the cost of original ones

Consider an Elan wheel instead of the Plus Two, it is slightly smaller


I originally replaced the Lotus steering wheel with a 13" Mountney. The thicker rim was much more comfortable, but I felt the steering effort was increased, so I went back to 14" with the Motalita wheel. :)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
User avatar
Foxie
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 868
Joined: 20 Sep 2003
Location: Wexford, Ireland

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:47 am

My Plus 2 seems to have been fitted with an Elan wheel. It's dished, so it feels too near to my shoulders. I'm thinking of a Moto-Lita wheel - I used to have one on a Sprite and it was lovely. Wonder what they cost these days...?
Late 1972 Elan Plus 2S 130/5 - UK - Unit 50/1115L
User avatar
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1795
Joined: 14 Nov 2017
Location: South Coast, UK

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:38 am

Gizze wrote:Many thanks for the suggestions.
Yes if the budget permitted I'd get a wheel from Jacob Engineering - They look great.
However a spitfire/GT6 wheel should fit the bill and with a bit of ingenuity I hope the Lotus badge can be fashioned to fit the centre


the Triumph Spit horn push/badge holder is the same as the Elan one, so you may just swap the center if you will
S4SE 36/8198
User avatar
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1263
Joined: 02 Sep 2013
Location: France

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:21 pm

Foxie wrote:
gus wrote:I think most modern wheels look out of place.

The availability of new high quality repops should hopefully hold down the cost of original ones

Consider an Elan wheel instead of the Plus Two, it is slightly smaller


I originally replaced the Lotus steering wheel with a 13" Mountney. The thicker rim was much more comfortable, but I felt the steering effort was increased, so I went back to 14" with the Motalita wheel. :)


It's been a while but surely the Plus2 steering wheel is 15" ??

John :wink:
User avatar
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 5577
Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Location: Manchester

PostPost by: Foxie » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:35 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:
Foxie wrote:
gus wrote:I think most modern wheels look out of place.

The availability of new high quality repops should hopefully hold down the cost of original ones

Consider an Elan wheel instead of the Plus Two, it is slightly smaller


I originally replaced the Lotus steering wheel with a 13" Mountney. The thicker rim was much more comfortable, but I felt the steering effort was increased, so I went back to 14" with the Motalita wheel. :)


It's been a while but surely the Plus2 steering wheel is 15" ??

John :wink:


Yes John, you are right ! I actually measured it last night, it's hanging on the wall in the garage, but I measured across the rim centre line, not the overall diameter. So the Motalita is 15" overall diameter as well !

Blame that on my engineering background ! :)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
User avatar
Foxie
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 868
Joined: 20 Sep 2003
Location: Wexford, Ireland

PostPost by: Elanman68 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:52 pm

nmauduit wrote:budget allowing, some nice repros are offered by

http://jacobengineering.co.uk/index.php ... -wheels-2/

no affiliation on my side


Plus 1 for the Jacobs Engineering wheels from me, I have one of their S4 SE wheels (signature) as the original wheel had gone long before I bought the car.

No affiliation other than as a satisfied customer.
Elanman68
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 83
Joined: 07 May 2015
Location: Dorset UK

PostPost by: Foxie » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:02 pm

JonB wrote:My Plus 2 seems to have been fitted with an Elan wheel. It's dished, so it feels too near to my shoulders. I'm thinking of a Moto-Lita wheel - I used to have one on a Sprite and it was lovely. Wonder what they cost these days...?



https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/steering-wh ... im-dished/ :)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
User avatar
Foxie
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 868
Joined: 20 Sep 2003
Location: Wexford, Ireland

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests