Inside of Stromberg Air Box

PostPost by: chickenstock10k » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:20 pm

Does anyone have a photo of the inside of a stromberg air box? I think mine may have been damaged at some point but I can't find any pictures to reference what it should have looked like originally.
chickenstock10k
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:49 pm

I don't have a photo of the inside of the airbox but there is nothing in there apart from the 4 steel tubes where the fixing bolts pass through. On mine these wore through the fibreglass on the carb side of the box so it was no longer held in contact with the carb inlet face - if you see what I mean ! I made a couple of plates to repair the box and prevent it happening again.
air-box-repairs-008.jpg and
air-box-repairs-013.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chickenstock10k » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:53 am

This is perfect. Many thanks.

I was actually looking for a photo of the inside face of a box. Somehow he breather grommet hole had gotten elongated but I wanted to make sure that I knew which hole was which before I diagnosed the problem, which is that the breather between the crank case and airbox went missing!
chickenstock10k
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:00 am

The hole in mine got elongated a bit, too. Here are a couple of pictures that might be helpful.

As it happens, I have a spare pipe. Not for sale, but can get any dimensions you want or even let you borrow it to get something made up, should be simple.

img_20190131_225603.jpg and

img_20190131_225725.jpg and
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chickenstock10k » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:29 pm

Interesting. It is surprising that the engine vibration alone could erode the airbox. How were you able to repair yours? Just fiberglass patch?

Thanks for the offer. The RD Enterprise guys are going to have some tubes made up in the spring but until then I am think some 5/8 OD rubber tubing might do the trick!
chickenstock10k
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:51 pm

The thing with the metal breather pipe is that it's held in place by being sandwiched between the air box and the head. There's no nuts and bolts or anything to hold it in place independently of the air box. If you use rubber tubing you'll have to devise some means of stopping it falling out, something I suspect would be easier with the Weber backplate and cover arrangement. With the Stromberg airbox you can't get to the back of the hole - not without cutting more holes anyway.

Second thing is that the original pipe has a flame trap gauze mesh inside it. I'm not whether mine's ever had to trap flames but oil fumes can make a bit of a mess in there.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:00 pm

Hole elongation was caused, I suspect, by motor mount failure. There are distinct wear marks on the box below where the airbox normally "floats", providing evidence that the airbox spent considerable time rubbing on it as previous mounts failed.

The bent metal tubing has a hooked flange on the airbox end designed to keep the tube properly oriented, another factor keeping it in place I assume.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: