early Plus 2 windscreens.

PostPost by: bill griffiths » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:30 am

Not perhaps a brand new topic, but one which does not seem to be entirely up to date.
But then I am a bit computer dyslexic!
After a rebuild lasting to date about 5 years I came today to fit the windscreen to my early Plus 2.
I have I believe the correct rubber section.
The windscreen which I inherited may be brand new.
It bears a mark: Royal Doulton..Vinylex...Laminated.
And: Lf DOT 76
M10 AS1
R1 297
D 368
BUT, it does not fit!
Its height at the mid section is 550mm whereas it should be about 535mm.
From corner to corner around its convex shape it is 1371mm whereas, to fit, it needs to be about 1362mm.
It is too long, and a bit too high!
Perhaps it was supplied to a previous owner eons ago.
But what next?
Does any kind person recognise the measurements above?
The car appears not to have been stressed; it is correct in all specifications and is in like new condition apart from needing some further assembly.
The rear screen is plainly the original and fitted perfectly.
So where do I go (politely, please) to confirm that the windscreen I have is wrong, and from where might I attempt to source one which will fit?
Kind regards
Bill
bill griffiths
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pptom » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:39 am

I thought i had a similar problem on my 68 +2, but it turned out i'd been supplied the wrong sealing rubber. The screen seemed miles too big. Correct rubber is pictured halfway down the link below.
lotus-chassis-f36/windscreen-seal-t43421.html
Sorry, no measurements at the moment, but the screen does overlap the appeture by a good 5mm all round.
pptom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pptom » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:24 pm

Bill, just measured the height of my screen in the middle and although its in the rubber i made allowances and its 550mm. Sorry, i can't do the width until i get an extra pair of hands.
pptom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bill griffiths » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:45 pm

Spot on!!
I was using the rear screen rubber.
Thanks so much for directing me to the profile of the correct rubber, naturally enough already
on the Forum!
Now to source a new front screen while I wait for the correct rubber to arrive. The screen I inherited with the car shows marked delamination near the corners.
Early Reliant Scimitars share the Plus 2 windscreen, as apparently do Ford Classic Capri 2 door coupes.
I think I read that Pilkington in the States were intending to manufacture some, but whether that is
happening I do not know.
Thanks again.
Regards
Bill
bill griffiths
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bill griffiths » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:52 am

A final matter.
Early Plus 2 used a rubber section which, by its profile (and as I now, not without some little shame, know, despite having has a Plus 2 for over 40 years) allows what at first sight seems an overly
large screen to fit!
Later cars used a bonded system and a (?) metal surround with corner pieces.
Not unlike my 1973 Series 2 Aston V8s.
Now, with the earlier rubber section which takes a shiny plastic insert, I think there is an option.
Either the rubber and the insert can be run around the corners, especially the bottom corners.
OR they can both be mitred.
Opinions vary!
Is there any consensus?
I would just love to go with the better option!
Regards
Bill
bill griffiths
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gus » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:48 pm

Windshield single piece, rear screen mitered corners. I would not think you want more than one seam[potential for leaks] or to try to figure out exactly how long to cut the pieces.
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pptom » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:52 pm

You're not alone Bill. It left me scratching my head a fair bit the other week too.
My front has gone in as one piece with the filler strip and single join at the top middle. It fits pretty well around the corners.
The rear is also one piece and i'll be installing the filler strip tomorrow, so won't know for sure until then but the corner angles seem much tighter. My two concearns related to mitreing the corners were potential failure of the join and the fact that i'm not sure i'd be neat and accurate enough to make it look good enough.
pptom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:14 pm

My understanding is that the majority of +2 cars left the factory with a single join in the filler strip, middle bottom, for the rear windscreen. There are reports of car leaving the factory with mitered corner also thou. So probably down to who happened to be fitting the screens when the car came of the line (or length of filler strip left on the roll...).

Replacing my seal is my next "major" task. It's currently has a single join in the centre of teh filler strip but I am planning to mitre it on re fitting. My expectation, based on my current seal/strip, is that the filler strip will shrink. The single center join causes a large gap in the middle and the corners to deform. Mitering the corners will avoid deforming of the strip/seal in the corner and spread the shrinkage around a little more, likely meaning longer until it is particularly noticeable.

I suspect there is an equally good set of reasons to go for the single central join.....
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bill griffiths » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:37 pm

Thanks pptom and mbell. Great job. Well the pressure right now is on pptom to give us an up to the minute report on the usefulness of his choice!
Regards
Bill
bill griffiths
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bill griffiths » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:46 pm

And looking at it again, gus might be right. Those corners at the back are tight! And if there is shrinkage at the front then is the best place for the join to be in the middle of the front? That is, is it better to have a centered gap where it might best leak, or an asymmetric gap half way down one side?
bill griffiths
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pptom » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:52 pm

Happy with the fit of mine, i think a mitred version may get further into the corners but my one piece rubber isn't creased or puckered up at all.
I suppose my only concearn would be around the water tightness of the corners, but my car won't see too much rain
Attachments
img_20190209_103711-864x1152.jpg and
img_20190209_103638-864x1152.jpg and
img_20190209_103644-864x1152.jpg and
pptom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:54 pm

Looks nice, have to admit I am a little on the fence in which way to do it.

Here's what it might look like in 25 years...

20190210_153848.jpg and
The age is the problem not the method...
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pptom » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:33 am

The other consideration is ease of fitting. I struggled with the front having never done one before and as its a tighter fit, but found the rear very straightforward, rubber in the car first then ease the glass in. Had to take mine out as the headlining was overlapping too much and i think the second time i installed it took me under 25 mins including the filler strip. If the rubber needs replacing in a few years i'll not hesitate to do it. I'd imagine it could be done without removing anything from inside the car too.
pptom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:22 am

I seem to recall being told that these plastic and rubber strips "shrink" because they have spent most of their life on a roll which stretches the material, when you fit it, it then tries to go back to the original size? So you fit it with a bit of compression in the length to allow for shrinkage, good for 30 years of tlc?
I fitted my +2 with mitre corners but having just seen that picture I might re-do it? I think it looks better one piece!
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: